WSM 22 1/2" is awesome

RogerS

TVWBB All-Star
Glad I sold my Chargriller W/side smoker box. Anyways no photos but I did 2 6# butts on Saturday with my homemade rub on top grate pulled off the WSM after 11 hours @ around 195 internal. Used a full bag of Kingsford in ring and another 40 bricks in Chimney on top of unlit. 3 chunks of Hickory and chugged along at 250-270 the whole time...first cook. Put a whole chicken on the bottom rack with my rub and pulled at around 170 internal around 4 hrs. And crisped up a Lil' bit on my new Weber Performer w/gas assist. Used SBRs on pulled pork with a vinegar based Carolina sauce I read off this great site. Had quite a few greyed over Kingsford leftover from Saturday so just filled up the ring and added around 20 lit coals with 3 Hickory chunks. Today did 3 slabs of SAMS Club BBRs ran @ 250-260 for around 4 hrs. Did the bend test done put some SBRs on for around 20 minutes these were super moist and tender. No foil, butter or honey....sometimes I do but with this awesome WSM probably won't foil again. Thanks for such great info on this site. I think I've cooked 8 or 9 times since getting my new Webers. Never cooked that often with the Chargriller...kind of a pain to keep temp and it was a fuel eater. These Webers shut down great. Oh yeah foiled the bottom of water pan and used HOT tap water for every cook. My first time using 7 am Saturday morning I was pouring the HOT water in pan and didn't have centered on rack and water tilted into coals..I waited a few minutes to put meat on but it didn't bother anything. One other thing...man we have a lot of leftovers for the week. I may have over did it. I am bringing in some pulled pork and sauce with some BB rib bone to my coworkers tomorrow. Still a lot left for tha Family for the week. I think I just got TOO excited :)

Last edited:
Wait til you eat at a commercial joint and think about yours vs theirs. I am sure you'll like yours better. LOL

Hey Roger I've go to agree, these things are great! I just got done with my first two cooks and did the exact same thing, but all the butts and ribs in one day (yesterday). lots of left overs too. we sent bags home with our friends and still have plenty to spare. the wife just asked what we were having for dinner tonight...

Justin, These Webers are great. I'm just wondering what took me so long to sell my Chargriller/side smoker box to a neighbor for 20$. Purchased a Weber Performer w/gas assist a couple weeks ago. Cooked probably 8 times or so on it and hardly used any lump. Nice having charcoal left after you close it up. The Chargriller used a 1/2 bag every cook. WSM is a awesome smoker. Used that a few times already. Co-workers are glad I bought it. Great leftovers for them.

Back