WSM 18" not Cooling in a Timely Manner after Use

Chris OH

Hello,

My six year old or so 18" WSM is taking multiple hours to cool down after use. Usually, I check after an hour or so, and at that, point, it's still 200 - 250 degrees at the lid, and way too hot to put the cover back on it. After I use it, I fully close all vents including the lid, so I suspect I have a leak somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do so I don't have to continue waiting until the next morning for it to fully cool down? Thank you!

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks. The leftover charcoal is NOT completely consumed the next day, so it sounds like a leak is not the primary issue. If so, I have no problem continuing to wait until the next morning to put the cover back on.

Yea that's what I usually do. What are you using for fuel? Some brands burn hotter longer.
Kingsford blue bag briquettes. Potentially related, I have noticed that my smoker temperature does seem a bit hard to control but always assumed that was due to not using water in the pan. The door does seem to have a bit more of a gap than normal, so it's probably time to try to bend it back into place a bit or even give the (expensive) Cajun Bandit door a try.

Hello,

My six year old or so 18" WSM is taking multiple hours to cool down after use. Usually, I check after an hour or so, and at that, point, it's still 200 - 250 degrees at the lid, and way too hot to put the cover back on it. After I use it, I fully close all vents including the lid, so I suspect I have a leak somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do so I don't have to continue waiting until the next morning for it to fully cool down? Thank you!

Chris

Hey @Chris OH - I haven't read all of the advice/articles that everyone has posted in this thread, so forgive me if I'm just repeating what everyone else has said. I've never sat with a stopwatch and IR gun to track how long it takes my WSM to cool, but I always end up waiting before the cover goes on. Depending on how hot and/or how long I ran it, I have come back an hour or two later and she's still warm. That said, I'm also slightly paranoid about accidentally bumping the vents open when I put the cover on so I typically wait till the next day (or right before bed if I finished an overnighter that morning) before putting on a cover.

Back