WSM 18 - New Thermometer

Louis NYC

TVWBB Member
Just picked up a WSM Mini and I want to upgrade to the Tel Tru theremometer so that i can easier see the smoke / bbq range of temps from a distance.

I understand that I need the following:
Step Bit to drill out hole to 7/8": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RP4B76/?tag=tvwb-20
High temp paint:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE7MW4/?tag=tvwb-20
Thermometer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L4IISK/?tag=tvwb-20
Do i need this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055778PI/?tag=tvwb-20

Lastly, what do I do to cover that tiny additional rectangular hole?

Do i need this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055778PI/?tag=tvwb-20

Lastly, what do I do to cover that tiny additional rectangular hole?
I answered your last question in the other thread where you posted this question.

I would use the Tel-Tru installation kit, it provides the proper stainless steel parts to space the thermometer off the lid surface and to fasten the thermometer. It makes for a professional install and you won't miss the $13 it costs to do it right.

Welcome, Louis.

Instead of upgrading the thermometer, you might want to look at a remote monitor for temps and alarms.

I personally use and like the ThermoWorks Signals. It has probes, remote monitoring to your cellphone and other neat features.

Just offering this as a suggestion.

I agree with both posts above. If you're gonna mount it, do it right. But I don't think there are many cooks in this world who rely on a dial thermometer mounted on their back yard cooker. The dial is more for something to glance at to give you a general idea of what's going on. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to drop a lot of coin on a dial thermometer mounted on your cooker. Especially if you already have one on there. Spend the money on something like described in post #3. MHO. Good luck.

I already have a thermoworks Smoke with the handheld unit. I'm not new to WSMs, just the wsm 18. I so know there's often a discrepancy between temperature probes and location of them. I've seen 30 degree differences before.

My WSM dial gauge can read anything between 25-50 lower than the Mav-73 I use.
Having said that, I once removed the dial therm and cleaned off all the built up gunk off the stem. It then read 15degs below the Mav. Hmm. 🤔
I use the dial gauge as a reference as stated my Mark_E.

I skipped the high temperature paint after drilling. I figured all the gunk that builds up quickly would handle the small slivers of exposed metal.

I share my two WSMs with family members, and sometimes they just use the dome thermometer, so I like having an upgraded dome thermometer in addition to wireless units from Thermoworks.

My WSM dial gauge can read anything between 25-50 lower than the Mav-73 I use.
Having said that, I once removed the dial therm and cleaned off all the built up gunk off the stem. It then read 15degs below the Mav. Hmm. 🤔
I use the dial gauge as a reference as stated my Mark_E.
Yea i can't trust the WSM's OEM temp gauge, i mostly use it as a measurement of temperature increasing or decreasing, not really for actual temperature. I assume theres a difference of -20 to +20

I skipped the high temperature paint after drilling. I figured all the gunk that builds up quickly would handle the small slivers of exposed metal.

I share my two WSMs with family members, and sometimes they just use the dome thermometer, so I like having an upgraded dome thermometer in addition to wireless units from Thermoworks.
Did you drill out the original hole to 7/8" and use a Tel Tru thermometer?

Also did you do just leave that small rectangular hole from the original bezel open?

Yes, I drilled out the original hole.

I placed an inexpensive washer from Home Depot (I think it‘s metric 10) between the thermometer and lid that covers the small rectangular hole. I believe the one included in the install kit from Tel Tru will cover the hole., but cannot confirm as I did not buy the install kit. I did not see any leaking from the small hole when firing up for the first time. Chris has pictures of a similar install in his instructions here: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/installing-thermometer/#industrial

In our pile of stuff, I found one 1/2” NPT stainless nut similar to the one included with the install kit, so I used that to install one of the Tel Tru thermometers, and just used the included lock nut for the other install.

Even a Tel-Tru can read the same as a stock one because of the location.
It's set in a static location so the amount of mass and cold meat affects it's reading.

Last edited:
I already have a thermoworks Smoke with the handheld unit. I'm not new to WSMs, just the wsm 18. I so know there's often a discrepancy between temperature probes and location of them. I've seen 30 degree differences before.
Exactly, the dome thermometer is not of that much use. It's just not in a good location. Air currents inside and a 40° hunk of meat inches below it tend to affect what it reads. It will get you in the ballpark, but it being off by 25-50° from the grate temperature is okay... sure you can cook by it. You just won't know how long it's going to take until it's actually done. 225 to 275 all Cooks about the same. Hotter just doesn't take as long .

Yeah many people just can't stand it and want to customize it. Even if the customization is senseless.

You may want to consider putting a fibre washer under the metal washer and locking nut, either side of the lid.
This will prevent you from cracking the porcelain when you to tighten the locking nut.

going to install the unknown BBQ hinge today, let's see how drilling on the round dome lid goes today. I'm not the best with power tools. any tips?

since a few people say the dome thermometer isn't that impt, I'll put it on the back burner. I'll stick with inserting the air probe from my thermoworks Smoke into the rubber gasket.

Last edited:
When I did mine I didn't spend the extra and buy the install kit.
I looked in my garage and used a SS fender washer on the outside and a 1/2" fitting like this for gas hookups.
The stem slid right in.
97009b39-a344-4490-9d47-eea5d70d0c49_1.144137dfdf1c05d7d68024ff3ba7eae3.jpeg

Back