WSM 18 cart

Eric Lofgren

Thanks to the inspiration on this site, I finally finished my smoker cart. All my home-built outdoor furniture is solid cedar (picnic table, dining table, a few chairs), but I had to scale back with the current price of lumber, particularly cedar. Construction is of scraps of treated lumber (frame and base), a single sheet of plywood siding (back, sides, divider, and door panel), and two cedar 1x6x12's (top, "face frame"). Joinery is mostly pocket screws, with some biscuits in the top breadboard connections.
PXL_20220716_103235095.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job Eric! Are you thinking of any sealer or stain?
I wasn't planning to. I don't know about that plywood—I thought about painting it but I've had poor results doing that in the past. The cedar, though, should weather to match the other furniture I've made. This means the tabletop might not be the most durable thing ever, but I can always sand it if it gets too bad. Also, except for the door (which is glued) I could replace the plywood with tongue-and-groove cedar down the road if prices come down.

Attachments

• PXL_20220716_160139360.jpg
    PXL_20220716_160139360.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220716_160154629.jpg
    PXL_20220716_160154629.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220716_160215416.jpg
    PXL_20220716_160215416.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 10
I wasn't planning to. I don't know about that plywood—I thought about painting it but I've had poor results doing that in the past. The cedar, though, should weather to match the other furniture I've made. This means the tabletop might not be the most durable thing ever, but I can always sand it if it gets too bad. Also, except for the door (which is glued) I could replace the plywood with tongue-and-groove cedar down the road if prices come down.
(y)

It looks good!
That plywood is T1-11. It's made for siding and can handle the weather.
I actually built a shed/lean to on the back of my garage with the same material.
Going on 4 years and I still haven't had time to paint it.:rolleyes:
It's holding up fine just graying a little.

It looks good!
That plywood is T1-11. It's made for siding and can handle the weather.
I actually built a shed/lean to on the back of my garage with the same material.
Going on 4 years and I still haven't had time to paint it.:rolleyes:
It's holding up fine just graying a little.
Yes, I know it will hold up, what I'm not sure of is how it will weather, especially compared to the cedar. They are currently noticeably different in color. Hopefully they'll both mute to a fairly similar gray. I built a (large) tractor barn with the stuff and painted it (with "all-in-one" exterior paint/primer), and the paint stuck poorly, so I left it natural this time around.
I wrapped a brisket in peach paper on the cedar tabletop, which left some oil, I guess, since when it rained (finally!) the rain didn't sit on that spot, but beaded up. I think my plan will be to try to use a different spot each time until the whole tabletop is more-or-less evenly stained with meat drippings. (y)

Yes, I know it will hold up, what I'm not sure of is how it will weather, especially compared to the cedar. They are currently noticeably different in color.
Eventually they might match or get close to it. I have a rough sawn cedar fence that was installed about a year after I did the shed.
Both have aged and grayed so I would say they are a close match but that depends on your plywood. It's one of a SPF ( Spruce, Pine or Fir) on the finish ply. Mine was straight Fir.

Back