WSM 18 1/2 " Lower grate

Ron A

TVWBB Fan
OK, so I've been cooking up some serious ribs, ABT's and butts for about 3 months now and am loving it (as are my wife, kids, friends and neighbors). But I still consider myself to be a "newbie" since I haven't done an overnight smoke. But my question relates to the lower rack on the WSM. Does anybody use it?? And if so, what for? I'm serious here. I can cook about 15+ lbs of butt, 5+ lbs of ribs or myriad other stuff on the top rack. What do people cook on the lower rack?

Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

I have used the bottom rack for ribs. I usually do 3 racks and i can't fit them all on my top rack on the 18 1/2 WSM. Also i haven't done it yet but i'm thinking of doing 2 turkeys this year. So if i do i will use the bottom rack. I believe others have used it for baked beans or if they do a large amount of lbs for pulled pork. They load that sucker up.

Yep. I am not very selective about using it. To me it is just another rack. I use it for when I do large amount that won't all fit on the top like when I do four pork butts. Two on the top and two on the bottom. I normally cook on the top grate only more for the sake of convenience.

Besides using it for large loads, its perfect for doing some sides that you want the drippings to flavor.
Beans are one that butts or ribs add a little sump-thin to.
I like to add a tray of taters,onion and garlic under poultry to catch that love! (screw the EVO and try some real flavor!)
As long as the poultry is cooked to safe temps whatever is cooked below is golden :wsm:

Tim

Besides using it for large loads, its perfect for doing some sides that you want the drippings to flavor.
Beans are one that butts or ribs add a little sump-thin to.
I like to add a tray of taters,onion and garlic under poultry to catch that love! (screw the EVO and try some real flavor!)
As long as the poultry is cooked to safe temps whatever is cooked below is golden :wsm:

Tim
AMEN.

I've done two briskets on mine this year using both racks. I even added a 3rd set of tabs for another rack. It's no great deal using the bottom rack. I use the middle position for the vertical turkey roaster, works well too.

Last edited:
I use the bottom rack for large cooks... Pork butts on the bottom and ribs on top. Chicken on bottom and ribs on top.

I recently used the bottom rack for a beer can chicken. Using my Weber beer can chicken holder it was too tall for the dome to fit properly (probably my fault for using a 24oz can), so I put it down on the lower one.

I'll use it whenever it's needed. Most times fatties or sausages go on during the middle of a cook.

Ron, if I'm doing butts and only need one rack I always use the bottom rack. I think it gives a more moderate heat, protecting it from the heat that congregates at the top of the WSM. I have no proof of this, but it makes perfect sense to me. So I use the bottom rack a lot, for one or two butts. If I go to a third or more I use the top and bottom ones. Of course, if I'm doing ribs or anything else I always start with the top rack first, then move down if need be. Just call me crazy!

Back