WSM 14.5

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
I have just purchased a 14.5. I have a 22 and a Smokin-it 3 electric. I have been smoking small batch (2 people) on a kettle. I have been surprised how different smoking for 2 is vs. smoking for 10, 12 or more. Wife is not too happy.....
Any thing special I need to know? I ask because I have a Smokey Joe that will stay lit.... so I am “cautious” about this purchase.

mark

Mark,
I love my 14, I just got done smoking a rack of BB's and some chicken breast. I have had no issue keeping it lit. The only thing that I think is worth noting is that using KBB minion method about 12 briquettes a full ring of charcoal has been lasting me about 6 hours. I know with the bigger 2 a full ring can last longer so I think that is something to keep it mind. There are different ways to address this concern, I add about 20 to 30 unlit coals at the five hour mark then so from there, but others do many different things. Another way I'm addressing this is using Weber charcoal I'm getting 8 to 9 hours on a full ring of charcoal using minion method with about 8 briquettes when using Weber. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. I have spent 40 plus years doing big BBQs ... so the downsize has been a learning experience and frankly, fun.

it gets here Monday, thank you for putting me at ease.

I was looking for a used 18 WSM when I landed a great deal on a 14. I cook for five to six of us every night and have used my 14 WSM to serve 8 a few times and 10 once. It is perfect for when I cooking for the five or six and I really think it being smaller has lead me to use it a lot more then if I got the larger one. Clean up is easy, I don't feel like I go through that much charcoal either. It's just easy to cook on so I use it not just for long cooks, but for everyday dinners also. I hope you find the 14 as easy, quick, and fun to use as I do.

i smoked a 4lb brisket and the 14 worked wonderfully. used water and it ran at 250 for near 8 hours. Used Kingsford competition (COSTCO, 2 18 lb bags - $14). I was amazed at the amount of moisture in the cooker.

thanks again Michael.

I’ve had an 18 for about 15 years. I bought a14 a few years ago and now the 18 mostly stays in the shed. I use it once or twice a year when I’m doing a big cook with 4 butts or something similar. Otherwise it’s the 14 for everything, I have a big pork loin on it right now, cut it in half and one on each rack. I cooked a pretty big full brisket on it camping at the beach (it travels a lot better than the 18 also and we always have it in the truck when pulling the camper), I cut it in half and did flat on bottom rack and remainder of flat and point on top rack. Turned out fantastic. Only draw back on 14 besides smaller capacity for meat is smaller capacity on charcoal. So a long cook over 8-10 hours typically requires some added fuel. I regularly do 2 good size butts on it for bbq though and that can feed a lot of people. I also find that it’s a little harder to maintain a higher heat cook (300-325) than the 18 I guess because of less fuel capacity, but I dont do that very often anyway. I’m a big fan of the 14 if you can’t tell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 6
Mark - where did you find 4 lb brisket? I’m cooking for 2 people so full brisket is way too much!

There is a CSA farm here in Petaluma CA called Tara Firma Farms. I get small briskets from them. Pricey but awesome quality.
they have a store at the farm and I go in and tell them what I want.

mark

I've only done a few cooks with my 14.5, but I will say that I've had a lot of luck with moving things to the oven after you have foiled them. At that point you're just looking for heat, so you may as well not fight the smaller capacity of the 14.5 for long cooks. Play to its strengths, not its weaknesses.

I've only done a few cooks with my 14.5, but I will say that I've had a lot of luck with moving things to the oven after you have foiled them. At that point you're just looking for heat, so you may as well not fight the smaller capacity of the 14.5 for long cooks. Play to its strengths, not its weaknesses.
Good suggestion and I have done that more than once after foiling.

Back