Wrongly positioned WSM charcoal bowl vent dampers

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I've been at this 22 years and sometimes I think I've seen it all...until something like this pops up.

A man named Carlos L. reached out to Harry Soo about a problem he was having with his WSM. Carlos had experience with other smokers and wanted to switch to the WSM. He bought this lightly used 1983 model for only $20. He was trying to understand why the charcoal ashes were clogging the vent dampers "in the bottom of the charcoal bowl."

Harry forwarded his email to me. I sent Carlos some photos of how a normal WSM looks with lit charcoal in the bowl and suggested he take some photos for us to look at. Take a look for yourself. Annotations are by Carlos.

Weber-Pics-1.jpg

Weber-Pics-3.jpg

Weber-Pics-5.jpg

Isn't that the craziest thing you've ever seen? Somebody was really asleep at the wheel in the factory the day this smoker was made back in 1983! I know it's WAY out of warranty, but I hope Weber makes this right for Carlos with a free replacement bowl.

It almost looks like someone fashioned a lid to become a base. I only see one vent.

Last edited:
Look closely at the second photo. You'll see three vents among all those ashes. The third one just below "Close up view" is the hardest to see.

That is strange indeed. Is there something about the mirror that makes it appear as though the holes are square?

Yea that was one of a kind or a major screw up? For 20 bucks, it's still worth it, and if Weber adds a new bowl ( or if he finds another WSM) that bowl ( with a handle added) would make the perfect high heat lid for poultry etc.
I'm surprised with the age and the ashes the vents look in relatively good shape, and the ring looks pristine.

Had to me a PITA to adjust those vents.;)

Tim

Back