Wrapping the WSM

john leech jr

when I wrap my WSM for wind or cold weather I'm concerned that it will catch on fire. I know i just wrap the sided but do I have to leave any kind of room between the WSM and the wrap. I bought a wrap that was recommended by another WSM user but I didn't ask how to wrap it.

The outside of a WSM does not get hot enough to catch anything on fire. On cool, breezy days, I'll quite often simply wrap a beach towel or something similar around it, much like you would a shivering child getting out of the pool.

JimT

Only reason I ever wrap it is to keep the heat in (using a blanket), not because of anything catching fire.

I use a hot water heater blanket. $25 from HD.

IMG00044.jpg

I used a moving blanket for years. I never had a problem until I cooked in 18 degree weather with 30 MPH winds (no choice - cooking for a birthday party). The leeward side of the WSM got very hot and the blanket caught on fire. I'm still cleaning the melted fibers off the **** thing.

I picked up a BBQ Guru Smoker Jacket for my 18.5. I used it for a 16-hour brisket cook at +5 degrees F and had plenty of coals left over. Worked great. Nice to have as an option.

Back