Wow, buckboard bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griff

TVWBB Super Fan
Last summer, my mom and wife bought some pork butt that was on sale at a local store -- buy one get one free. Turned out it was boneless and I wanted bone in so I put them into the freezer for later use. Two weeks ago I pulled them out of the freezer and put them into a buckboard bacon cure. After two weeks in the cure in the frig, I popped them out today and soaked them for two hours. Then I put them on the WSM and smoked them for five hours until the bacon showed 140.

Of course, We had fried bacon sandwiches tonight. Great. I'm really glad I made it. Well worth the time and effort. Hey, how can you go wrong with fried smoked pork?

Oh yeah, did I mention that about ten minutes after I started the bacon smoke, it started snowing. We got about three inches now. I got my WSM in April and am looking forward to learning what adaptions winter WSMing brings.

Griff

Griff,

Did you use the Hi-Mountain cure or your own? That BB is great stuff, getting ready to do another big batch myself here pretty soon.

Bruce

I used my own simply because I got a bug to make and hadn't ordered the Hi-Mtn in advance. I used Morton's Tender Quick, maple syrup, mollasses, apple cider and black pepper. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm going to order some Hi-Mtn for the next time, not because I'm dissatisfied with what I've got but because I'll never know what I like best if I don't try both. Like Susan says Good stuff".

Clay J

I started with 8-9 pounds of meat which I cured in liquid in a plastic container in the frig for 14 days. The cure was:
1 package of Morton's Tender Qiuck (1 lb ?)
1.5 cups of maple syrup
.5 cup of molasses
.5 gal of apple cider
.25 cup of coarse ground black pepper
I didn't have to add any water to cover the meat. I turned the meat every 3 or 4 days.

At the end of 14 days, I rinsed the meat 3 or 4 times in cold water and soaked it cold water for 3 hours changing the water every hour. Then I patted the meat dry and rubbed to taste with more coarse black pepper. I let it set at room temperature until it got that glazed look, about 1.5 hours. I smoked it at a dome temperature of 200 until the meat reached an internal temp of 140. This took about 5 hours with my weather conditions -- ~25 degrees and snowing. I started with 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals and never added any more. I used 5 fist sized chunks of hickory, 2 right off the bat and 3 later on. Then it was slice, fry, and vacuum pack the rest.

This stuff came out great and I'll do it again.

Griff

Griff, Sounds great. Would you say it's like a ham bacon taste? I know Bruce uses pork butt for the Buckboard Bacon and he described it that way. Sounds really good to me.
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks Bryan

Bryan S

I know what you're talking about. I've read the same posts that talk about a "hammy" taste. It did not have that taste. It fried up with a bacon taste. I thought it was a tad salty but my wife said no more salty than commercial bacon.

Griff, Thanks sounds real, real good to me. Going looking for some boneless butts.
icon_biggrin.gif
Tender Quick 1 cup ? help me out on this one bud. Bryan

Bryan

It comes in a bag. I ended up using the whole bag but I can't remember the size. It was about a one pound bag of mostly salt. My store had, I'm guessing, one pound bags and five pound bags. Folks do a lot of fish here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back