Would you buy a SS Kabob Ring & Skewer set?

Chad Bman

TVWBB All-Star
And I'm not talking about the $25-$35 sets that fit on the grate like these -
http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/cookware/1269
http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/cookware/1332

I'm mean ol' school with an actual ring and full length skewers...
D110C8E9-7420-47B9-95A7-52CEB4604D6C-9572-00000BB2D976DBC8_zpsa028bcfc.jpg

CF376401-D608-4E1B-8C3F-9B6B5010371B-948-000001A03ED8803C_zps61aa64d7.jpg

cbk4.jpg

cbk2.jpg

cbk3b.jpg

Since this Weber version is a thing from the past, finding one is like finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
Looking at the Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring, it's pretty similar to the kabob rings in the pics above.
I reached out to CB and asked about them making a kabob set --- their reply...

Looks cool Chad, I have had a half dozen people contact me about these skewer rings and it looks like a good concept but I'm concerned about collectors wanting the original ones and not so much the copies, I could make them but it's easier said then done. Stainless being the way to go the ring alone would have to sell in the eighties to nineties, I have found the skewer kits and they range from 20 to 30 dollars, do you think this thing would sell for 129.00?

Chris

My thoughts...

1) I want a cooker, not a looker. Having an official Weber version isn't important to me. The SS would be great!
2) I'm not interested in the small/cheap skewer sets. Might as well use bamboo...
3) If they could combine a rotisserie slot into the skewer ring, I think that's a great deal!
4) Even at $129, I'd buy one. Am I alone?

Thoughts from the rest?

Chad one other thought and perhaps a less expensive way to go. Below is part of an older all-in-one set Weber made years ago. Chris, (Cajun Bandit), may be able to fabricate these cheaper. If he's interested, I'd be more than happy to send him a skewer to measure. Good Luck!
036-L.jpg

Personally, I like Fire Wires. They are flexible so you can lay them anywhere on the grill. Additionally, you can load them up and then submerge them into a container of marinade. They are cheap too!

Personally, I like Fire Wires. They are flexible so you can lay them anywhere on the grill. Additionally, you can load them up and then submerge them into a container of marinade. They are cheap too!
Dan, I actually like both but you're right. VERY easy to use...........
kabobs%20052013%20011-L.jpg

i may be wrong but i thought those weber ones are still sold in europe. i would love one if it were cheap of course.

Only see the rotisserie ring available on the Weber Europe site.

may be able to fabricate these cheaper. If he's interested, I'd be more than happy to send him a skewer to measure.

The skewers themselves are still available in Europe. Not much different than what Weber offers now when compared to the big rig.
http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/weber-original-double-pronged-skewers/

It's an 18" and I'm sure going to cost a pretty penny once it's complete. I'm looking for a 22"
I saw this ebay listing earlier which is what got the wheels turning with Cajun Bandit.

Sorry this is not what you want to hear but if there was a profit to be made Weber would still be making them. CB caters to an enthusiasts market. I do not think the average customer or many enthusiasts are likely to reach out to a company such as CB when less expensive alternatives are readily available.

Personally, I would not be interested in a large device, other than a rotisserie and perhaps a pizza oven, to deal with and store. The 22" ring and skewers do not seem to be very practical for anything other than a large gathering or to impress the neighbors. It is difficult to visualize how a combination rotisserie/kabob ring could be designed without creating air leakage problems when used as a rotisserie ring. The more holes the weaker the ring. Suspending a 20 lb. somewhat off balanced turkey would add to the problems.

The kabob set in Rolf's pic is much more appealing. The only change I would suggest would be to make a single blade skewer with a more attractive handle as the 2 wires seem a bit fussy and lack a certain eye appeal, cool factor.

Elaine - I don't want to hear everyone agrees with my opinion. Just looking for interested parties for CB. This forum is heavily geared towards the WSM and low interest in the ol' school kabob ring. Another forum I'm on is heavily geared toward the kettle and that's running around 50% interest with others waiting for real world reviews.

I had a long reply typed out, but deleted it as I'm NOT trying to turn this into a debate. I disagree with most of your thoughts, but that's what opinions are for.

The best part about the twin wire skewers is not having items rotate after turning. Grape tomatoes is the best real-world example I can use. I spin the skewer and the tomato 'falls' to the original position. The big set-up would still have the same issue of course. But spinning the skewers couldn't be easier. :D

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the double rod skewers. I find the food ends up spinning on the singles. I also only skewer the meat. I end up cooking the veg in a pan.

this one looks cool, i'd like one like this....

cbk3b.jpg

must be painted tho', never seen anything but black before.
think i'll talk with or fabrication department

I'll give you a straight answer to your question, Chad. I wouldn't pay $129 for a SS kabob ring and skewer set. I don't cook kabobs enough to warrant a specialty accessory like this, and I think that's the case for most grillers. It would be just one more thing to store in the garage...like the Weber rotisserie that I never use. :)

I also think the price ratio is off. Looking back in the 1967 Weber Catalog, the 700 Series 22" kettle in black sold for $50 and the shish kabob set sold for $13. Today, a 22" OTS sells for just $99 and a 22" OTG for $149; I personally would not pay as much or more for a kabob set than I paid for my grill.

Just my opinions...maybe my sense of value is off. In any event, I hope you get this from CB if it's something you want. Good luck!

I don't disagree with your thoughts, Chris. Which is also why I don't have a rotisserie/ring. Couldn't justify the value for the specialty piece. But.... If I could get a roti & skewer set up in one package, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

In other news, there's less than 2 hours remaining on a Weber 22" skewer set & ring. Will be curious what this one sells for as the 18"er went for $169
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rare-...-S26-Shish-Kabob-Kit-NOS-UNUSED-/390637447148

Back