Would You Buy a BGE if..?

Robert S.

TVWBB Member
...You could get a large one with the large cypress table,(sorry, no wheels) with accessories, in like new condition.(no cracks) 2 vent-damper tops, one with small holes, one with a big hole, fish grill, roast rack, chicken holder, turkey holder, grill grabber, etc. for $200? There's been this notice by our neighborhood mail boxes for several months and I've been ignoring it because I've already got a WSM and a Weber kettle. Why would I need an Egg yet. Then I noticed the price and I know those things cost about $800 plus the table and accessories. For that price I could afford to just put it on my patio and admire it. But it'll be fun to expand my horizons and learn to smoke on something else! I stopped and looked at it tonight. Tomorrow I"m going to tell the guy I'll take it.
The guy moved it out here(az) from Maine 2 years ago and has never used it since. It's an older couple and they have no family here, so they have no one to cook for.

Any pointers on Egg cooking would be appreciated.

Robert

Yes, I would buy it assuming it was in good condition, that is a great price. I don't have any pointers, but I would want it for grilling a steak. High heat sear, shut the vents and let it roast til done the way you like it. I understand eggs are good for that.

Thats a lot of egg stuff for $200.00. I would buy it just to try it out and see how it works. If it does not work out you could always sell it and maybe make a buck or two. The egg guys seem to like all lump and no briquettes. They have a forum over at biggreenegg.com.

I've been cooking on a kamado for 31 years. If you can buy one for $200, just run right over and get it ASAP.

Melman, Oh no, your in Mesa too! I'm glad I didn't put the guys address down.

Somewhere around Ellsworth & Guadalupe,

Robert

Nice list for $200. Let us know what you cook first and how it comes out. Pics would be nice also.

Is Mesa a suburb of Phoenix? I can't remember. I was wondering if grahm central station was still open. Me and a couple of friends used to drive 5 hours from 29 palms to go there every couple of months when I was stationed out there. I could tell you a few stories about that.
icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff, Yes, Mesa is a suburb of Phoenix.
I never heard of graham central station, but it looks like it's still there. Actually in Tempe. It also looks like a pretty wild place. I think I"ll avoid it!

LOL. Yea that was a long time ago. Back about '83 when the drinking age was 19 there. I don't think I would want to there now unless it was just to reminece.

I do remember getting lost there a couple of times. The Ave and St thing.

It may be heresy here but I'm sure you'll love that egg and I'm sure you realise that $200 is a steal. I hope you got it!
There's a lot of useful info out there, I find the BGE forum hard to navigate, it makes you realise how well Chris has done with this forum - thanks Chris.
TNW is good to read and the Kamado forum is well worth looking through.
I hope you enjoy it, and don't believe them when they say you will end up not using the WSM!

Robert
Let us know what you think after using your new BGE? I have had a few of them for years and they cook great. You can never have to many cookers. As the ole saying goes, varity is the spice of life!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I woudn't even consult with my wife if I had the opportunity to buy a BGE for that price, if one came on sale here I wouldn't even hesitate. I would hit the ATM and be knocking on their door in a matter of minutes! I love my WSM's but there's always room for another BBQ toy.

I too would buy a bge at this price without hesitation. I had it narrowed down to the bge and the wsm before finally purchasing the wsm. Price was a huge factor when deciding which to purchase. However, I do not feel that I settled for the wsm as I am quite pleased with it.

$200 is an easy decision for all you've described.

I didn't look into the BGE prior to getting my WSM mainly b/c I was sold on it but I would definately pick that deal up in a heartbeat.

I looked at some of the BGE products recently at Ace Hardware and was impressed by the quality they put into their products. And like what was said previously its always good to expand ones knowledge base.

Now how about some pics of your incredible deal?!?!

Here it is: http://static.flickr.com/87/281734250_0051658575_b.jpg
Did a couple sirloin steaks last night. Followed the guy on Naked Whiz's instruction: 5 min. each side @ 400* Then sear w/top open after the cooker hits 750* 3 min each side. They ended up a little too done.
Did a 2.5# pork center cut roast this morning. Cooked at 375* to 140* internal. You could cut with you fork. Very juicy!
Got some thin firebrick and another grill. Put 4" bolts through it to extend it. just fits over the bricks and weber drip pan for indirect roasts.
Robert

Looks like you did very well. Congratulations.

By the way, to do a steak at 750º you have to have a thick steak. Actually, I have a friend that has a GBE and he talks about doing a tenderloin roast. Sear it and roast it. He says it's great.

I'd say you got the most bang for your buck with that deal than any other $200 you've spent ever. Great job.
icon_cool.gif

Back