World War II history

There's two guys on the U-boat I can't tell apart at all. They both have a beard and the hat. I guess it doesn't matter.

Speaking of the Sherman tank and its ease of operation, I'm reading an excellent book " The GI's War " , which is almost entirely stories from the " dog faces " , the average GI .

I found this tidbit that happened on Dec 20, 1944 , so its timely :) . During the defense of Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge , the 101st Airborne was establishing their perimeter around the town. This is from the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment ( the regiment of Easy Company, otherwise known as " The Band of Brothers " ) .

Finally, what was left of the column made its way into Bastogne. That fifth tank, which had had no driver, finally got a driver when a bunch of paratroopers got on board and decided it was time to learn " how to run the son of a ______ " . And somehow they did !

At dusk on December the 20th the column, including the trucks and ambulances with the wounded, made its way down the road and inside the perimeter of the Third Battalion of the 506th Parachute Infantry.

I've got a whole shelf of WWII books, most of them dealing with the naval war in the Pacific. In terms of books about specific battles, I enjoyed Hornfischer's "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" enough to read it twice. It's about the Battle off Samar and is a good telling of a battle the U.S. shouldn't have won.

In terms of books on the overall naval war, Symonds' "World War II at Sea: A Global History" was great.

I'll give Das Boot a look on Hulu once we finish our current show. It sounds interesting.

Back