Working Towards a Sandwich: Smoked Turkey Breast Time EDIT: Sandwiches Made!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Tonight's menu is turkey and bacon clubs and/or Turkey, bacon, apple, and brie sandwiches. Now that I have some of Bob's bacon it is turkey time. I following Chuds BBQ brine and it really created an amazing smelling Turkey Breast to go into the smoker.
IMG_20220505_210246099.jpg

Rubbed with just course black pepper and garlic powder. Again following Chuds recipe, with no more salt needed because of the brine.
IMG_20220505_210734975.jpg

Onto the kettle.
IMG_20220505_210856831_HDR.jpg

Just under two hours later it hit 145 and I brought it in and wrapped it in foil with a stick of butter. I deviated from Chuds here out of laziness.
IMG_20220505_222448802.jpg

Pulled at 163 and after a rest I unwrapped it and here is the final product. I let it rest longer and then wrapped it up and into the frig it went. I will slice it up tonight as thin as I can to make some sammies!
IMG_20220506_004711612.jpg

Michael......I like watching Chud's cooks as well. I've seen all of his older offset cooker videos and I'm catching up on his Kettle cooks. I've used the foil boat on the last couple or briskets and really like how they turned out. Looks like you removed the skin as well. Is that correct.

What was the pre cook weight on that breast? Looks real good.
It was 2.65 Lbs. It was this one below. This is a product, I have NEVER been able to find local. It looked like the picture below, but when I cut the string I spread out to a nice single breast. I removed the skin, some quick trimming and into the brine. You can still see some of the marks for the string in the pre grill pictures.
1651857151186.png

Last edited:
@Michael Richards looks good.

Do you have more details on the smoke phase? What wood? Kettle temp? etc.

Smoking a turkey breast is on my to-do list.
So this cook is at my wife's request. She does not like wood smoke flavor on poultry AT ALL (she likes it on pork, but not poultry). Preparing poultry is a place where JD XL has become pivotal to my cooking. My wife loves the taste of poultry with that charcoal. So this cook was just JD XL, just like all my vortex chicken cooks and my roti chicken cooks. The goal was 275 ish or a touch higher, but the kettle actually settled in at 265 ish for most the cook so I did not fight it. Took less time then I thought it would. Right around 3 hours in total. It smelled amazing, we were going to bed last night (you know because I started smoking this at like 8:30 pm) and my wife keep saying how good it smelled. I hope it taste as good as it smelled and looked!

Michael......I like watching Chud's cooks as well. I've seen all of his older offset cooker videos and I'm catching up on his Kettle cooks. I've used the foil boat on the last couple or briskets and really like how they turned out. Looks like you removed the skin as well. Is that correct.
Yeah, he is just a little over the top, but I find myself loving his recipes, processes, and final product.

I did remove the skin, all the videos and instructions I looked into advised this as the temps were not going to get hot enough to really render out the skin or all the fat underneath it. I think it is worth noting that it seem to be about removing the fat under the skin as much as it was about removing the skin. The skin has been saved for my next batch of ramen broth.

Last edited:
Started slicing as thin as possible. We totally eat that piece I was slicing there.IMG_20220506_172040185.jpg

More slicing more sneeking slices.
IMG_20220506_172416220.jpg

OK enough slicing time to make some sandwiches.
IMG_20220506_173224932.jpg

Every turkey sandwich needs some bacon.
IMG_20220506_174345042.jpg

OK, let's build the sandwich that started this quest. Turkey, bacon, Granny Smith apples, and brie cheese.
IMG_20220506_173631931.jpg

Slightly toasted bun and slightly toasted and steamed sandwich center.
IMG_20220506_174252850.jpg

Next was my simple club.
IMG_20220506_175137463.jpg

Turkey, bacon, cooper cheese, lettuce, and spice brown mustard.
IMG_20220506_175219216.jpg

Everything about this was amazing. My wife said the turkey was the BEST thing I have EVER cook. I would say it was really really freaken good. I want to make another Turkey Breast to serve hot.

As we were eating the sandwiches my wife said the sandwich she has a few weeks ago was one of the best thing she has had in a long time, but that my copy cat was better!!! She also asked how was she expected to ever go back to store bought lunch meat again.

I think the brine was a special part of this cook, the smell and taste from the brine come through all the way to the sandwich.

Last edited:

Back