wooden handles? (update on baby blue kettle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
Just in case you need a more original style

dsc06118o.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-01-03

dsc06123v.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-01-03

dsc06086ww.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-12-29

I think some of the people here are looking for the original style to try to make their kettles as factory fresh as possible, those other handles are nice as well. Hey Troy you still need some handles?

Brian
I love how mine turned out! Thanks Brian!

Brian makes some Awesome handles to a great price. My deal with him went fast and easy! Can really recomend that you contact him if you need a new handle. Respect Brian
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Steve Aguilar:
Hey, Jeff. VHT makes a primer, paint & clear coat called "FlameProof". All 3 layers are rated at 1300º-2000º after proper curing. You can buy all 3 at O'Reilly Auto Parts or Amazon. I've also used Rust-Oleum High Heat & High Heat Ultra. The Ultra is glossy. They are rated at 1200º, I believe.

I refurbished an old Blue Bar-B-Kettle with the VHT and I've used the Rust-Oleum on my Brownie and my WSM to cover some patches. The low spots will still remain; however, it's hard to spot it unless you already know it there. Both brands of paint held up very well with no discoloration or peeling (so far...knock on wood).

Sorry - don't mean to hijack this thread - but Steve can I ask more specifics about the VHT products you used? I checked Amazon and found VHT flameproof grey primer, flat red ceramic coating, and satin clear paint... are those the 3 products which you found to hold up to the heat the best? I used Duplicolor engine enamel on my redhead performer restoration, and it started peeling after the first few cooks.

[Now back on topic].

These are the handles I got from Brian. They are super cool and I love the durability of oak. I used Watco Teak Oil (3 coats) it really brings out the wood grain.

That's so slick! Did you get them unfinished, Mr. Hill? I will probably order a bunch from Brian in the next month or two.

Thanks guys! Lawrence, I did get them unfinished. I was debating between Teak Oil and Polyurethane and went with the Teak for this batch. AJ, that is the exact can of Watco Teak Oil that I used. You can do as little or as many coats as you want. I did 3 and thought they came out pretty good. As for the Grill itself, I bought a new leg/wheel kit for it this spring. I really wanted to make the kettle look as fresh as I could. I had to reset the ash ring this year that I put on 2 years ago. The tabs would come out after a couple ash dumps on 2 of the 3 sockets, so I used 1-1/2" hose clamps on the tabs and fastened them to the legs. I stripped the black can to silver last year (BIG PAIN) but worth it and of course this year, Weber went back to silver cans, go figure!
icon_rolleyes.gif
. Brian, I too love that red fade (performer style lid tone) of this kettle. When it gets really hot, the bright red blends with the purple fade, pretty neat. Thanks again Brian, I will probably be looking you up again for some more handles soon. They are as authentic as they get! They're more durable than the originals.

Thank you Mr Hill. I really like the look of the Teak Oil finsh. The more coats you put on, the better it looks!
Plus, its easy to refresh it.
I also love the Two-Tone Reds. I'm on the look out for a Performer in that shade..

I just varnished my timber handles, pretty happy with how they came up. I've done 3 high heat cooks where the thermometer has maxed out with the handle on and it seems to be fine
DSC03983-1.jpg

I used this product. Its a clear single pack varnish mainly used for boat decks
DSC03980-1.jpg

I also just wanted to pitch Brian's handles. I received my six sets today and they are awesome looking. I got mine unfinished but will use Teak oil to coat them. If you need some original looking handles, get in touch with Brian. Good prices and fast service.

Wayne

Hey Wayne, hate to be needy, but can you tell me how many coats of teak oil you applied.

... and pictures of course would be great.....
icon_smile.gif

Gerd,
Sorry I have not replied sooner. I have not been on here since going back to work from vacation.

I have not applied the teak oil yet but will probably do about three coats and see what that looks like. I will post some pictures when I do get a chance to do mine.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back