wooden handles? (update on baby blue kettle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I get my hands on an old style two-rivet woodie? I'm trying to restore a mid-'70s redhead I picked up on CL last week.

photo.jpg

Steve email me and I can get you everything you need to fix that up. Just click on my name and view my public profile. You'll find my email there, and you'll look great in no time. OH and post more pictures, I'd love to see more of that redhead.

Brian

Originally posted by Steve Aguilar:
How can I get my hands on an old style two-rivet woodie? I'm trying to restore a mid-'70s redhead I picked up on CL last week.

photo.jpg
Nice find Steve! I have an old redhead that's going bald as well. Brian will fix you up. His handles are real beauties!

Thanks, Brian. I'll hit you up. Here are some more pics of my 22.5 redhead after I cleaned her up real good.

The ceramic chipped a little more after I carefully removed the 3 dampers at the bottom; however, that couldn't be avoided. There were already a bunch of hairline fractures and so some pieces loosened up and came off. The wooden handle was totally cracked in half and unusable. It came off with hardly any effort.

I'm using VHT Flame Proof primer, flat red, & clear coat to patch it up. They worked really well in the past. The VHT red matches pretty close to the original finish. I've tried VHT caliper paint, VHT engine enamel, DupliColor caliper paint, DupliColor engine enamel, and a couple of other brands, but they all burn up. Even the 900º caliper paints didn't work. I prepped and cured them properly, but no dice. The 1200º+ paints are the only ones I've had success with on BBQ grills.

photo.jpg

Hi Steve
I have a red grill project that I'll be starting sometime soon and had a few questions for you.

Where did you obtain the VHT flame proof primer in flat red? Was it at an auto parts store? What temp is this paint rated to? Did you use a special clear coat over it...or just any clear coat?
Did you fill the low spot of the chip to make it flush with the existing paint? If so, what did you fill the low spot with?
Lastly, if you've already used this method to repair a grill...how did the paint hold up when the grill got hot?

BTW...Brian's handles look amazing. I got a couple from him. You will be happy with them.
Thanks!

Hey, Jeff. VHT makes a primer, paint & clear coat called "FlameProof". All 3 layers are rated at 1300º-2000º after proper curing. You can buy all 3 at O'Reilly Auto Parts or Amazon. I've also used Rust-Oleum High Heat & High Heat Ultra. The Ultra is glossy. They are rated at 1200º, I believe.

I refurbished an old Blue Bar-B-Kettle with the VHT and I've used the Rust-Oleum on my Brownie and my WSM to cover some patches. The low spots will still remain; however, it's hard to spot it unless you already know it there. Both brands of paint held up very well with no discoloration or peeling (so far...knock on wood).

Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
Thanks Steve!

Shaun...leave who alone?
Those poor Webers.
icon_frown.gif

I was waiting for George to chime in. He likes them left Au’ Natural.
icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, I found a red 26er! It makes yours look new. I just hope I can get it.
icon_frown.gif

Those poor Webers are lucky to have someone that wants to resurrect them! I know George would just tell me to put Pam on it and leave it alone, but my red 26 deserves better than that!

So when do you pick it up, or are you waiting for a response from the seller? Can't wait to see it.

i think both parties have their merits. but i think the "natural" look would look better than a grill with differant blotched colors. its just me. i also think that the grills should carry their wounds proudly. i get great satisfaction from using a saved one. i swear i can see the grill smile. don't get me wrong, i still pound and twist things back to shape. there is a limit.

Ive found that they are many variances of red on the kettles depending on how old they are. Some have the darker ring towards the bottom of the lid, some don't. This makes it even more difficult to match colors. When I do my 26...Im going to be very careful with matching colors. Im super anal and detail oriented...probably borderline OCD!!

I still have to go to the peoples door again and ask if they will sell it. I have already been there twice and they weren't home. It's a real beater. If I get it, I will probably leave it alone and just spray it with Pam.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by george curtis:
well, so far folks say that the "paint" changes color after use. i'm wrong ?

some do, some don't.

i tested 4 different brands and colors of high heat red paint and found that VHT red caliper paint matches AND holds up

i did have one spot burn out, but that was my fault for banking a super hot load of coshell to the side

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
well, so far folks say that the "paint" changes color after use. i'm wrong ?

some do, some don't.

i tested 4 different brands and colors of high heat red paint and found that VHT red caliper paint matches AND holds up

i did have one spot burn out, but that was my fault for banking a super hot load of coshell to the side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>have you been adding a primer Troy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back