Wood Swap

Jeff Bittel

TVWBB Fan
I take my dog for a walk every day. As I walk I gaze at 100 foot tall white oaks everywhere. Branches fall off that when sawed make perfect chunks for smoking. Oak Oak everywhere. And some Beech.

But no Apple.

No Cherry.

No Pecan.

So I was wondering if somewhere else in America another WSM owner might be walking his mutt staring at - Cherry, or Pecan, or Apple. But no Oak.

Perhaps they would like to engage in a wood swap? Say 10 or 20 pound box's?

That's an interesting thought Jeff. Any idea what it would cost to ship 20 lbs. of wood half way across the US?

JimT

Well to Battle Creek Michigan 20lbs from my location would be about $11 by Fedex.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

This could be a great idea at that shipping rate. I have access to different kinds of wood, but no pecan. Maybe someone has access to that and would be willing to trade. Mostly I have Hickory, but I also have a lot of apple (a trunk) due to cutting down a tree for a neighbor.

Jerry, I have -0- apple. Would you like to be the 1st to swap for 10 or 20 pounds of oak. If so please send me an email with your address. I'll be glad to ship 1st so you can judge the quality. I'll cut the oak from 3-4 inch limbs and keep them in the fist size chunks. That's the size I like best. If you want them in a different size let me know, I'll do my best to accomadate.

We should all consider the problem of invasive species in any wood swaps. They are trying to embargo wood from Michigan because of the Emerald Ash Borer which is wiping out ash trees in broad areas of that state.

Several Southern Wisconsin VWBB members are sharing our supplies because of the Harbormaster's inspiration. You can probably find a good variety of smoking wood locally, and avoid shipping costs and invasive pests.

Jim

Jim,
Still waiting to hook up with you. I work Saturday the 2nd, so I'll be in Madison. Let me know what you need.
David,
Hope the apple and hickory have been satisfactory.
Bryan,
Your big day is coming up. Think you'll make it down for some hickory?

"What to know about EAB:
• It attacks only ash trees (Fraxinus spp.).
• Adult Beetles are metallic green and about ½-inch long."
Emerald Ash Borer Info

Jerry let me know if you would like to do a swap.

P.S. I don't want any ash!

Yeah, all the ash trees around here are gone. Lots of fire wood, but you're not suppose to move it out of the quarenteen area though some a-holes do. I don't think it would be very good for smoking anyway. If you live somewhere where you have ash trees, you won't for long. Plant another tree now. If it's a great tree (like one in your front yard or the one you climbed as a child) you can save them but it's a lot of work and you have to do it before the infestation.

Jeff - Sorry, I have plenty of oak and also, I don't really like it. Do you know of a local orchard? My father-in-law was at one and asked the guy for some wood and he let him take an arm full of some pear and apple branches for free. I think early fall is when they trim their trees so now would be the time to find one.

If anyone wants some alder, I'd be willing to trade for cherry. I've got about 1/2 cord...give me an excuse to play with my chainsaw!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I have plenty of oak </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But do you have Beech? That's what Germans use for pork spiesbratten. Best kept secret in America.

Back