Wood chunks vs. a smoke generator

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
Last week I wanted to smoke some cheese. I did some searching on this site and one poster wrote about using the Amazen Smoke Generator. Although I didn't have one it got me to thinking about a smoke generator vs using regular wood chunks for regular smokes. Do any of you use a generator in lieu of chunks? How about in addition to chunks? Seems like it could be a way to get more smoke if your chunks don't produce the length of smoke you need. Adding additional chunks could affect the cook temperature while your waiting for it to start smoking. BTW, my cheeses are still sleeping in the fridge for another week before I taste them. The hard boiled eggs were excellent.

For me it just makes more sense to use chunks for a regular smoke. I know a lot of people use a tube smoker to get more smoke in their pellet grills.

My experience has been only using chunks.
I am satisfied with the results, as has been everyone who has tasted the cheese I have smoked.
The Amazen Smoke Generator may have it's place in someones arsenal, but currently, I can't justify it.
Smoke from a pellet, a chip or a chunk is all the same.... thin blue smoke, when done correctly.:wsm:

I have the AmaZen tube smoke generator (6"). It works perfectly in my Mini-Joe and my 14.5 WSM for cold smoking cheese. It is VERY convenient and easy to use. I really like using it for cold smoking cheese and will continue to do so.

It cost me $20.00 (6" tube style) and the applewood pellets I use are available locally (Traeger pellets for less than $20.00 per 20 lb. - that is three two hour smokes for a dollar).

However, I can see little reason to use it for regular smokes - I use a variety of chunk wood and am perfectly satisfied with the way they work.

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I like chunks the best, seems to be the most bang for the buck for me. The Amazen tube smoker might be better for cold smoking, but seems to
emit a lot of smoke for a shorter time period.

Back