Wood chunks. Combination or just one kind

Rich S

TVWBB Member
Hi all,
I wanted to get some opinions on wood chunk use.

I use the wood chunks from weber and I have pecan, hickory, cherry, apple, and mesquite.

When I cook my ribs i have been doing a combo of hickory, cherry and apple. Brisket = mesquite and hickory.

Am i waffling??? Should I just use one type of wood? How do you think it affects the taste of the meat?

I find with the mild woods, they get overpowered by stronger ones. Try one at a time, especially with cherry, apple, and peach.

The fruit woods impart a very mild flavor. They are not nearly as strong as hickory, mesquite etc...I like to use fruit woods exclusively on chicken, but for butts and brisket I use a 2:1 ratio. IE 2 chunks apple to 1 chunk mesquite.
Just my .02

Rich, I mix wood most all the time. I like pecan and a fruit wood of some type for chicken or ribs, and hickory/oak for pork butts and brisket.

Interesting post. I had not thought of mixing wood types. I have always used only one type. Will have to consider this in the future.

Ray

I've been using a 2 parts hickory to 1 part cherry mix on both pork and chicken and have been very pleased. Taste is subjective of course but this formula hasn't let me down and others that have eaten those meals also really enjoyed the taste.

:wsm:

One thing to remember is that fruit wood won't smoke near as long as the nut woods. Also, hickory is much more mellow after it's been in the cooker for a while. For that reason, if I need to add any wood during a long cook, it'll usually be a fruit wood.

I generally use one type at a time, I've mixed in the past and really don't think it's better than the single wood.

Man, I thought peach was the go to for pork! I have 18 pounds being
shipped to the house here pretty quick from Fruita wood,
I am a impulse son of a gun! We will see
Danny

Ribs-Hickory or Pecan/Cherry.
Ham- Hickory/Sugar Maple.
Chicken-Alder/Cherry.
Turkey- Hickory/Cherry.
Meatloaf- Apple/Cherry.
Butts-Hickory.
Brisket/Biff roasts- Red Oak.
When I mix nutts and fruit I go 1 part to 2 or 3 or why bother.

Tim

Hi Rich et al.

Attached is a listing of various woods and their characteristics that's been floating around for years. Can't remember who composed it but it's interesting to read and very helpful in choosing combinations or individual species.

Enjoy,
elliot

WOOD SMOKE CHARACTERISTICS

ALDER
Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND
A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE
Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and
pork.

ASH
Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH
Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY
Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is
the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD
It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some
chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE
Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES
Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and
lamb.

HICKORY

Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy
bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC
Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE
Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE
Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY
The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK
Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes
the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat,
pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT
Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork,
fish and poultry.

PEAR
A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN

Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry,
beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE
Great on most white or pink meats,
including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK
Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like
almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE,
MANZANITA, GUAVA and OLIVE. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i. e. pear and cherry) are also
suitable BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and
WILLOW.​

Last edited:
Ive decided the peppery taste of hickory is too overpowering so im going to use apple on everything and experience with some of those other mild woods; thanks for that great list

2 chunks of hickory and 4 chunks of apple or cherry or peach

or

3 chunks of cherry and 3 chunks of peach (this is my winning combo right now)

if i'm not catering and want something different, i'll go apple and maple, or maple and pecan, or hickory plus any other fruit wood (with the ration being 2 of the fruits per 1 hickory)

I would love to try peach but have not seen it available around here. When in doubt I use pecan alone. I like pecan and cherry or Hickory & cherry. I think it's a milder version of Hickory. I just got a big bunch of applewood last weekend so am busy chunking it up. Mostly I use it alone for poultry although I have used pecan too.
I'm going out for some maple and oak now that fall is here.

I bet 9/10 cant taste the difference if mixing woods. Am i wrong? I use fruit for pork/chicken...Alder for a fatty fish. And you cant go wrogn with Juniper on a fast smoked(1-2h) lunch meat.

Back