Wood chips & Creosote

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
Last night I prepared some chicken legs and thighs using my WSM-mini. I used my standard BBQ chicken marinade and rub, and tossed all 8 pieces on the top rack of my mini for about 90 minutes until they were cooked through.

Normally I use wood chunks for smoke, but I was out of chunks so I used chips. I would normally wrap the chips in a foil pouch. but last night in a fit of laziness, I didn't take that extra step, instead just casting a couple handfusl of chips onto the lit coals. I put the mini back together and walked away.

The chicken was way, way darker than usual, and carried a bitter taste. I can only imagine that the wood chips ignited and burned, causing creosote and unclean smoke on my chicken. Let this serve as a warning to you all!

eDmF7fO.jpg

PS don't mind the beet/beet juice that's my lunch!

Hmm, interesting. What kind of wood chips were you using? I haven't used any in a while but back when I had an old cheap box smoker I used to always use wood chips directly on the coals. I don't remember having that problem

I would be curious also as to what chips you were using? I use chips a good amount for grilling and have done it for smoking when I was out of chunks and never had a problem.

Suppose I should include all the info. About half way through the cook the coals looked insufficient so I added more K blue to the fire. That could be part of it too.

It was apple chips.

Dave;
I have only used wood chunks on my Mini-Joe and my 18.5 WSM. However, I have used chips a LOT on my OTG grill, with out issue. I do soak them for an hour or so before.

It is important to keep the top vent at least half open so that you don't run into the problem you mention, but, otherwise, I can't think of "why" this might have happened.

Apple or Cherry are my chosen woods for poultry but I do use minimum wood when doing poultry.

FWIW
Dale53

Top vent was all the way open. I'm thinking it was the mid-burn dump of fresh Kingsford blue. Eating it right now, it just tastes oversmoked, not extra bitter or creosotey.

Thanks guys

Hust a suggestion for you from my experience, if you need to add coals to sustain a fire lite them in a chimney starter first. When briquettes start up they let off a lot of whitish grayish smoke. Don't like that on my meat, I can taste it when I have done it years ago. Also chips if dry burn off quick and might have given you a double heavy smoke punch. When I use chips I soak them at least a little while and I put them in a fold of foil with some holes punched in them.
Just some of my observations

Wow, that almost looks like the chicken fat dripped off and flared up. I use chips quite a bit with chicken and have never had it look like that nor ever had a creosote taste.

Back