Wolf $10K Built-In Grill Restore

It is. Not sure if it's the same generation as outwardly they did not change but it is exactly the same

Hi Joe. This is fantastic information. I have an 8 burner Wolf 48 that was in the house I purchased 5 years ago. I never even knew I had an infrared burner in the back until I saw this. My last of 8 igniters went recently and I have had to settle to lighting the BBQ with a large Bic lighter. I had someone come out to give an estimate on repair and it was $2,300 so I decided to attempt it myself. The igniter boxes (buttons) are good but the electrodes have now all rotted and died. I tried a few different electrodes but they all seem to be the wrong dimensions to fit the Wolf brackets. If I was cynical, I would think that Wolf designed it so that you be forced to buy Wolf $90 electrodes. (x8) Did you replace the electrodes and if so, where did you get them?

Hi Joe. This is fantastic information. I have an 8 burner Wolf 48 that was in the house I purchased 5 years ago. I never even knew I had an infrared burner in the back until I saw this. My last of 8 igniters went recently and I have had to settle to lighting the BBQ with a large Bic lighter. I had someone come out to give an estimate on repair and it was $2,300 so I decided to attempt it myself. The igniter boxes (buttons) are good but the electrodes have now all rotted and died. I tried a few different electrodes but they all seem to be the wrong dimensions to fit the Wolf brackets. If I was cynical, I would think that Wolf designed it so that you be forced to buy Wolf $90 electrodes. (x8) Did you replace the electrodes and if so, where did you get them?
@Joe Anshien ^^^ I thought I'd tag you on this so you would see it.

Larry, I came up with an idea that is simple and cheap. How about hose clamping one of these ceramic igniters directly to your burner as a test?
Joe

Last edited:
Joe, great ideas after we talked yesterday but now I have to wonder would what you mentioned above work on the Wolf? Hmmmmmm, depending how the weather turns I may just try something like this. But, it may have to "wait until next year" like my dreams of a subway series in Chicago. With fall coming on I have to service the big Kubota for the winter. Even though I will likely be using it for another month or so. But lots needs to be done. And it takes 3 strong men and a couple strong boys to accomplish. I am actually considering having the local dealer pick it up, do all the service on it and take it back to me LOL.

I am having the dealership pick it up and do a full service this winter. I only used it for a short time last season and didn't do anything, but it is due now. I did change the oil and replaced a belt myself this summer, but they can do all the rest. The dealership tries to find as much warranty covered stuff as they can to keep it running optimally and be ready to return to me in time for spring.

Funny thing: I got my son to help me change the long belt which involved removing and replacing a number of pulleys. As I was struggling with one pulley, my son said, "This is why you are supposed to have PROFESSIONALS do this!" :rolleyes:

Jon, I fully understand. Two years ago, one of the pulley spindles went out on my Cub Cadet. I ordered a new set of them and belt. Getting the belt back on by myself was a miserable and painful experience. Then after just a couple mowings, one of the new spindles went out again and I had to get a new single spindle and install that. At least this time I had some experience putting the belt back on, but it was still a PIA. All said, I think I saved myself a couple hundred dollars in labor at least, but I am getting to the point where I am just not able to do some of that stuff any longer. I really like to do maintenance on my stuff as much as possible on my toys and vehicles. First, it can save a whole lot of money, and second, I know it was done and done right. I know the oil gets fully drained. I know the fuel filter "really" was changed. I know quality oil was used. I know the lube points were all really lubed. etc........
13 year old Cub Cadet and it is still running great and starts up every spring.....that is not to say I have not had some issues....but invariably, I get them figured out and fixed. I actually had a problem getting the thing started a couple years ago. Sometimes it would start and sometimes not. I eventually took it in and they could not find any problems. I left it there and since it didn't fail to start for them during one day, they said it was fine. Yah, I get it home and it won't start. Finally found a post online about the fuel cutoff valve. It is a device that shuts off fuel to the carb when the key is turned off. It is designed to prevent "run on" and backfires. Well, it tends to stick after a while and I replaced that two years ago and have been good since. After the shop said they couldn't find anything wrong, I was nearly to the point of scrapping it.
I am not saying I am a "professional", but sometimes it pays to grab a wrench and do a youtube search.

Not much in the way of belts on my Kubota. It's all shaft driven. Even the mower deck is on a driveshaft bigger than I've seen in some cars :D Sadly it's like someone took a full size full weight machine and shrunk only the size down and left the weight. Machine alone weighs in at about 1300 pounds and the mower deck 480. Ugh, it's really hard to work on for these old bones. I love the thing, but wish I had kept my little Honda for some of the smaller tasks LOL.

Back