Wok Help!

AlexD

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Ok, I am looking at purchasing a Wok for my grills. I sadly have a glass top oven in the house so a wok there I have been told is not a good idea, so I would like to use one on the Grills.

I looked online and say Weber does have a cast iron wok, though its listed for the 22.5 grill. I have a the Spirt E320 and 18.5. Has anyone tired it on these? Or is there a Wok anyone can recommend?

I've got a heavy steel one (and lid) that I picked up in my local chinatown 30 yr ago.

I'd suggest going to your local china town and search in a grocery/department/knick knack store. You're not going to see a "brand name", just look for a heavy one with two handles. Mine is about 15" diameter with a lid that fits inside it (so about 14"). Works well on my gas stove.

I agree with Len. The traditional steel wok will allow for different zones of heat but the cast iron that Weber sells is effectively one zone of heat just like any other type of CI. The different zones work great for doing Chinese cooks. Another option is Amazon. That is where I got my new one. It works great in the Weber gourmet cooking system grates and on the included ring on our gas cooktop. See this link. Remember to use the link at the top of the page so the site benefits from the purchase.

Last edited:
Go to Home Depot and check out this grill:

Spirit E-310 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill (Featuring the Gourmet BBQ System)

In particular, the Gourmet BBQ System is a grate system for the Spirit that has a space in the middle for a griddle and other options including a Wok. It appears to be a new option but if I had a Spirit, I'd be looking to see if I could order the grate system as an accessory. I was able to see it (the Gourmet BBQ System) on their web site for the 22" kettle but I couldn't find it for the Spirit.

I recommend The WOK Shop, Good quality and at pretty good prices, I have a carbon steel wok from them and love it.

I have this one.

It is a real cheap cast iron wok. It fits into the gourmet system and is extremely heavy. I don't use it too often but I like it. It used to be $20. For $20 it was worth it... I would recommend it if you are looking for a cheap option to see if you like cooking with the wok.

The problem with a cast iron wok is that they retain heat so you do not have the advantage of using multiple heat zones on the work. Cast iron is great for many things, but not for wok cooking. Check out the one that John recommends or the one I supplied the link to above. They are far superior to using a cast iron wok. If you go to a good chinese restaurant, you will see that they do not use cast iron, they use the carbon steel woks. I have had a carbon steel wok for at least twenty five years and would not use anything else. I love using my wok on the gourmet grill system and Weber makes great products, but a cast iron wok is not something I would use. Just my twenty cents worth (adjusted for inflation).

The problem with a cast iron wok is that they retain heat so you do not have the advantage of using multiple heat zones on the work. Cast iron is great for many things, but not for wok cooking. Check out the one that John recommends or the one I supplied the link to above. They are far superior to using a cast iron wok. If you go to a good chinese restaurant, you will see that they do not use cast iron, they use the carbon steel woks. I have had a carbon steel wok for at least twenty five years and would not use anything else. I love using my wok on the gourmet grill system and Weber makes great products, but a cast iron wok is not something I would use. Just my twenty cents worth (adjusted for inflation).

Yea I believe ya Bob. I am not very into Asian cooking. I use mine occasionally and honestly use it more for sauteing veggies etc then real stir fry. I think if I got into Asian food cooking more I would invest in a carbon steel wok. As I said above I wouldn't recommend the cast iron model unless you are looking for a cheap option!

You all have been so helpful thank you so much this is what I needed to point me in the right direction.

I think I'd like a cast iron wok - I know the arguments against them but I stir fried in my cast iron skillets. Granted, my technique is crap and my standards low :) but I'd even like a discada to cook on.

This is the wok I have - it's flat bottomed: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OFREDC/tvwb-20

If you don't have any Chinese cookbooks, This is my first: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/034552912X/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

I just got another one yesterday & another on order....I have another one too but haven't used it.

Another piece of advice - make sure you get a wok with good protruding handles. The hoop handles that are traditional are horrible for the home cook and make the pan impossible to manuever (you'll constantly have to have a side towel with you and I guarantee multiple burns when you forget to use it).

Protruding handles may not be traditional, but they're hugely functional.

Back