WMS 22.5 Full load Charcoal question

Boston Jeff

TVWBB Fan
This is for people that use Kingsford B in the 22.5 , I am wondering how long some of you can run on a full basket of coal on the 22.5 wsm . Also does the upgrade for the coal ring make that much of a diffrence in run time .

Jeff

The problem I have with a full load of KBB is the ash it produces starts to smother itself out. You'll have to stir the coals around to 'freshen' the coals.
I can go a lot longer with a 15 pound bag of Stubbs than a 20 pound bag of KBB "untouched"
To answer your question, I've done overnighters without a hitch. 12+ hours isn't uncommon at all.

Though not KBB, as a reference point, I recently did an overnight butt with a 15 lb bag of Stubb's and got 14+ hours with temps in the 250-275* range. I quit keeping track after the beans came off at 13 hours.

I've gone 16- hrs with a bag of blue. Every now & then just shake the bottom o get the ashes to fall.

I've gone as long as 16 hours with a full load of KBB, without adding. Also, I typically don't stir the coals to remove the ash, to minimize suspending the ash and having it settle on the food. What I will do when I notice the fan on % going up on the DX2 is, tap the outside of the closed WSM softly with a rubber mallet right where the legs connect to the bowl on top. I'll go around a tap the three areas a couple of times, and that seems to do the trick very nicely and with the unit closed, there is no rush of air to help loft the ash. Works for me.

On my 2 Butt cooks a couple weeks ago I used a full bag of blue and it went 11+ hours...no stirring the coals/ashes and had some charcoal left for next cook. Stayed around 250-260 the whole time. I started with a foiled bottom water pan and full of hot water.

I've gone as long as 16 hours with a full load of KBB, without adding. Also, I typically don't stir the coals to remove the ash, to minimize suspending the ash and having it settle on the food. What I will do when I notice the fan on % going up on the DX2 is, tap the outside of the closed WSM softly with a rubber mallet right where the legs connect to the bowl on top. I'll go around a tap the three areas a couple of times, and that seems to do the trick very nicely and with the unit closed, there is no rush of air to help loft the ash. Works for me.

Ha, I will soooooooo try that next time im cooking.Thanx for sharing that.

Peter

Back