with the caveat that I dont live in NYC

Sandy B

TVWBB Super Fan
The new York times has a pretty good article ( I think it should be in front of the firewall, but if not should still be free) entitled " Brisket, worth the wait". Although the article itself won't win any Pulitzer's, reading through the comments was pretty good ( nice to see people sticking up for Montreal Smoked Meat).

Here is the link, if its being a pay wall could you please delete this thread Chris?

Brisket is worth the wait

Last edited:
Good read. Interesting to see how much of the fat cap is left on at Lonestar. Never seen that at my fave BBQ joints in Texas.

Good read. Interesting to see how much of the fat cap is left on at Lonestar. Never seen that at my fave BBQ joints in Texas.
The same thought struck me ( except I've never been to Texas) but it is odd to see all that fat left on. I would feel very guilty if I ate some of that....but I would.

Couldn't see the comments on my ipad , but the article was very interesting. Good share.

' “The brisket I’ve had in New York lately is better than a lot of places in Texas,” said Daniel Vaughn, the barbecue editor of Texas Monthly magazine '

Daniel Vaughn got a lot of flack on twitter for that statement. I'm sure though that some of those New York joints really push it to the level of refinement that some of our beloved Texas joints do. The key words there are "a lot".

That fat on the Lonestar Empire brisket looks like its mostly a trick of the lighting. Most of that looks like point meat with about an 1/8 of an inch of fat which is about right. It could be better rendered though. When I first looked at that pic I was horrified. If that is all fat then gross!

Good read!

That fat on the Lonestar Empire brisket looks like its mostly a trick of the lighting. Most of that looks like point meat with about an 1/8 of an inch of fat which is about right. It could be better rendered though. When I first looked at that pic I was horrified. If that is all fat then gross!

Good read!

In not sure, the sliced brisket and the unsliced brisket in the back look to me like they have a WAY bigger than 1/8 th of an inch fat cap.
that looks like 1/2 inch and I agree, as much as I like brisket, to me that looks borderline inedible.

' “The brisket I’ve had in New York lately is better than a lot of places in Texas,” said Daniel Vaughn, the barbecue editor of Texas Monthly magazine '

Daniel Vaughn got a lot of flack on twitter for that statement. I'm sure though that some of those New York joints really push it to the level of refinement that some of our beloved Texas joints do. The key words there are "a lot".

I go to "a lot" of BBQ places. Most in Houston are ONLY fair at best. There are a couple of really good places like Stockyard (brisket only; pass on pork) which is competition quality and Goode Company - the original one for seafood and some meats on a good day. In fact, sauces in general in Houston and Texas in general are to be avoided, I think Daniel's comment is pretty accurate. Next trip to NYC I'll have to test out a few of these places.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!
My favorite comment, of the few I read, was:
"Unless 85% of customers are packing heat, it's not real BBQ."

Thanks for the link!
My favorite comment, of the few I read, was:
"Unless 85% of customers are packing heat, it's not real BBQ."

yeah I liked that one as well. I also liked the responses to the anti-monsanto rant and the deft argument against pairing bbq with wine.

I go to "a lot" of BBQ places. Most in Houston are ONLY fair at best. There are a couple of really good places like Stockyard (brisket only; pass on pork) which is competition quality and Goode Company - the original one for seafood and some meats on a good day. In fact, sauces in general in Houston and Texas in general are to be avoided, I think Daniel's comment is pretty accurate. Next trip to NYC I'll have to test out a few of these places.

I agree with you. I'm on the border of Oklahoma and Texas and we have nothing that even remotely compairs to Franklin's. Dallas has some seriously good joints like Pecan Lodge which I put up with Franklin's. 2hrs north and cow towns everywhere and no good BBQ. We have a place that's been open since 1925 and what are they known for? Ham. This area, moreso in Oklahoma is known for smoked bologna!

Sandy -
This is off topic I know, but I saw you refer, in another post, to restrictive regulations in NY in regards to grilling. I've never heard that before, but then i'm not an east-coaster. Can you explain a little about that?

Sandy -
This is off topic I know, but I saw you refer, in another post, to restrictive regulations in NY in regards to grilling. I've never heard that before, but then i'm not an east-coaster. Can you explain a little about that?

Ill let a nyc brethren go through it ( better than I could) but here is what I know

1) never on roofs or fire escapes
2) not within 10 feet of combustibles
3) restrictions on transport (tunnels) and storage of LP

my limited understanding is that parks and near the piers are the most common legal places to make heat, but again I defer to people who live in gotham.

There is the whole argument of quality vs. authenticity. Generally Daniel Vaughn is pretty decent in reviews for places that have been open forever but may not be that good by today's standards. Some of these places have very loyal clientelle and if they changed anything people would hate it. New York is not going to have the challenge of quality vs. authenticity. Authenticity is flat out the window, so they really only need to focus on high quality awesome food.

It's tough for me knowing what good is and not being a snob about it. :)

Back