wireless/remote monitoring of cooker - via computer

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I was bragging to my friend the other day about how I can monitor the smoker and meat temp remotely with my wireless maverick thermometer. Then he asked, "well, can you monitor it on your computer?"

Hmm. Good question. Sounds like a challenge to me.

There's got to be a way to merge a wireless probe sensor with a software program that allows you to monitor, track, record, etc., the progress of the smoke all on your computer. Think... it would generate the data automatically. If you can do that, then you could easily feed that over the Internet and monitor the progress anywhere. Heck, I could be at work and see what my smoker is doing at home. I'm liking this.

Then, think of the possibilities... you could hook in the Guru and start tweaking with it - all over the Internet.

heck, then, all that is left is some robotic arm to light the coal, put the meat on, etc...
icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, back to the original question - is there a way to hook in the wireless thermometers into some computer program... have you heard of anyone who has tried to do that? Any ideas on where one would start?

I'm going to have to talk with my geeky friends and geeky engineer brother to get some ideas...

Any ideas?

Cool topic (for us GEEKS!).

You'd have to start with getting the PC
and wireless thermometer to talk on
the same frequency.

I suspect, right now, neither do.

In my time here on this board, the closest I've seen is there was someone who hooked up a web cam to view the therm over the internet. If you have a guru, I'd think that would be all you'd need - just to give you that extra sense of security that all is well with the smoker while you're at work.

Griff -

interesting... this is getting there. It also doesn't look like it provides a real-time feed to the computer. Instead you download the data into it after the "test".

I wonder what you could do to get a real feed into a computer program? Maybe there is a way to use a Maverick ET-73 or Nu-Temp for the temperature mechanism, then somehow feed that into a computer... I know I'm stretching here. Either way, I think that to do what I'm concocting, it might have to be a home-grown job...

I have a brother and an old roomate who are both electrical engineers. I'll use this as an excuse to catch up. I'm sure they have experience using some sort of testing and control equipment/simulators that do tihs kind of thing... probably costs thousands, but at least it will be a start.

Any others have any ideas?

Adam

You're right. This is not real time. I dinked around the net for a while looking for a wireless temp logging remote thermometer. I started out looking for something for my greenhouse and this was a close as I could get. Right now I monitor the greenhouse temps with an Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer which stores a min/max reading. So far I haven't been able to justify the extra $$ for the logging remote and software.

Please keep me up dated on your efforts. thanks.

Griff

Yeah, that sounds like a cool project.
Sure you could rig up something using RS232, but wireless, or an IP on a loopback? .... Hmmm. I'd buy one.

It just has to be a question of finding the right equiptment at a decent cost. I would think that bulk bakers or food manufactures use something along that line to monitor ovens and the like.

D

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of months working on a design for this very thing. If there is interest, I'd be happy to start writing up my research so far. There are a variety of ways to approach this problem.

-Matt

Matthew... I guess great minds think alike?

I'd be very interested in hearing how you are going about it. I haven't been able to connect with my engineering buds yet, so I can't say I have a lot of reciprocal research to offer. That said, I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts and approach.

Either post here, or, if you are more comfortable, just send to my email address: acch@us.ibm.com.

- Adam

There are a number of components necessary to do remote temperature monitoring of a smoker with computer logging. Most of these require choices to be made. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all possible options, but here is what I have so far.

There are a few assumptions I have been making. First, the goal of the project should be for "open source" style hardware and software. The finished product should be something that a wide variety of people could build using as many off-the-shelf components as possible. Second, the product cost is crucial. A $1500 temperature monitor is probably of little use. Third, I want/require/need the ability to go to sleep and have the system "wake me up" when temps are out of control. I use my Mavrick now, but I really don't like the fact that the units can get "out of sync" and no alarm goes off. (this last part should be the easiest part of the whole operation however)

1) Thermometers. This is by far the easiest component to source. A variety of sensors is desirable. The temperature range needs to be in smoker and meat ranges, and this seems fairly easy to source. There are MANY sources for thermometers. The final product would have to pick a few that work with the device and provide model numbers.

2) DAC. This by far is the costliest part of the operation. You will require a Data ACquisition device to convert thermometer readings into signals that your computer can understand. There are a variety of options here, ranging in price A LOT. Here are some examples:

RS-232 - relatively low cost
http://www.superlogics.com/cpseries.asp

USB or Ethernet - Cost is going up significantly here (note: many of the USB ones that you will find are actually the labjack relabeled)
http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di158.htm
http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u12.html

There are many, many DAC options out there.

There are two problems with these DACs. a) Cost. Many are expensive and start at the $100 range. b) Wireless. How do you make them "wireless"?

3) So, assuming you go with a DAC and want to make it wireless, here are some options.

3a) Build your own. Actually, although this sounds hard, it may be a decent way to go. The design would only need to be done once, and then it is a "buy parts and solder" operation. You could take advantage of simple unlicensed bands to do the transmission. Range could be a limiting factor here.

3b) Wireless addons: http://www.aircable.net/AIRcable/AboutUs.html Downsides are cost and it may not actually work for these applications depending on the DAC used.

3c) The "Dell Axim" solution. Actually, this idea is not specific to the Axim, but that is what I was looking at when the idea hit me. The concept is this. Why solve the wireless problem. A "Dell Axim" palmtop computer has 802.11b built in. You could put this handheld next to your smoker, hook your DAC up to it (To Be Determined, but I think USB should be possible) and write your software to work on the handheld. Let it post information back to your home network. This has dual benefit because it gives you a very nice "Local" temperature display. The only real downside here (besides cost) is that you would need to design a "weatherproof" enclosure for your Axim (rain, snow, etc).

3d) X10. I really haven't explored this. But rather than wireless, you could use a hard wired X10 interface to use your power lines as your transmission medium. This may be the CHEAPEST solution to the problem.

3e) Infrared. Wireless, but requires line of sight. IR transmitters and receivers are VERY cheap to make. Still requires a local controller to go outside, but a reciever can work on any standard computer.

3f) Cheat. Hard wire it. Distance is a big problem here though. Most DAC's aren't going to work well over a long distance.

Summary of Wireless section. a) Cost is a big issue here as well. b) Some of these solutions might allow you to perform local "control" funcitons as well (ie: 2 way communications). Why? You could emulate BBQ-Guru style control of your smoker.

4) Software - This is the area I know the most about. All things being equal, this is not a difficult area to deal with. Writing interface code for whatever DAC/Wireless solution is implemented on whatever platform is chosen (palm computer vs. full-blown pc) should be fairly straightforward. Nothing here is "inventing the wheel" as it were.

That's as far as I have gotten so far. I think the X10 solution deserves far more time than I have given it so far. It has the most promise to be the CHEAPEST solution out there.

-Matt

Matt -

Wow... you have done some serious research into this... I'm going to be reading through what you wrote over the next few days.

Briefly, I agree x10 may be the way to go. Since there's already been a lot of work in that space on automation of household appliances using the x10 protocol, it makes sense that there could be a relatively easy modification to make a 2-way temperature monitoring system for the smoker. I guess reliability could be an issue with x10, but not sure it would be any less so than other options.

Anyhow, I need to check in with my much more techically savvy brother and former roommate. They both design satellite systems (i.e., they are much smarter than I am). I'm going to pass on your thoughts and see if it syncs with what they would be consider.
- Adam

so true. then we can check on the WSM temp anywhere in the universe.

I like it.

oh... forgot to mention... is there a way to connect the maverick to a DAC? That would eliminate the need for a separate temp sensor. Though, that solves only the easiest of the problems..a.

So, if I used one of the superlogics PCI DAC boards (which come with drivers; should not be too hard to write a VB6 program to read the board) how far away could the thermocouples be?

Matthew Appler. I would like to propose a possible 3g. Bluetooth. That is the kind of thing bluetooth was designed for isn't it. I have no idea of cost of that kind of thing. I am not an engineer of any sort. Just a geek.
icon_razz.gif

Anyhow just a thought.

Bluetooth is an excellent suggestion. I have not done a lot of work looking into it primarily for 2 reasons. 1) Cost. Bluetooth is pretty pricey compared to other wireless options. 2) Range. Standard Bluetooth devices are designed for a maximum range of about 30 feet. There are high-powered bluetooth devices that can range up to 300 feet, but that starts sending the cost higher.

A major advantage to bluetooth is that it is extrememly low power. Assuming costs should be dropping on bluetooth, it could prove to be an excellent option if range issues are dealt with. A directional antenna could help here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Matthew Appler. I would like to propose a possible 3g. Bluetooth. That is the kind of thing bluetooth was designed for isn't it. I have no idea of cost of that kind of thing. I am not an engineer of any sort. Just a geek.
icon_razz.gif

Anyhow just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Guys
You got me thinking:
I found this NI site, unfortunately the software is Windows only.

But then again there is Picotech
and they provide free drivers for thos who wish to write their own software. Check out their pricing and ordering here there seems to be some cool stuff there.

morgan

Back