wireless/remote monitoring of cooker - via computer

There are two electronic control systems on the market, the BBQ Guru and the Stoker. The Stoker can be networked and controlled via a webpage or Amir's Stokerlog program. Check out the Automatic Temperature Control Systems section here.

Hi Tony,

Digital electronics is a hobby for me and I have considered doing a project like this. You could use a microcontroller at each end (computer and the smoker) that are connected via a simple serial wireless link. Or you could just make one unit that used the 802.11 protocol for direct communication. Or you could just use a small embedded computer where most of the hardware is taken care of and you would just need minimal external circuitry.

All these approaches require programming, so hopefully you have some experience in that area being an EE.

Here's some links for some cool hardware:
http://www.sparkfun.com - Hobby site that has a good variety of ready to use wireless modules
http://www.gumstix.org - A very cool and small linux based embedded computer board

Hope this helps,
Kyle

You people are sick. I had to take a course on how to use my Thermapen. Good luck in your quest

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TonyG:
Hey Matt, any progress on this (if you are still around)??? I'm considering doing this type of project for my senior design project for electrical engineering....maybe adding some control over a website (turn on fan, open/close vents, etc.)...anyone else have thoughts on this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony,
I'm still around..
icon_wink.gif
I took the project up to a certain point and stopped. You are welcome to any and all of my work up to that point. I'd be happy to discuss where I got to in my design process. Just PM me and I'd be happy to send you some stuff.

As others have said, the Stoker and Guru are popular right now. I have the Stoker (and it works very well).

-Matt

Back