Winter smoking

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
Do you find the need to use a heat sink of any kind in cold weather. Water, clay, or whatever you may use in the summer.

If santa brings a WSM, it will get fired up on the 26th!

Jeff,
Hope Santa's got enough room in the sled to get you the WSM.

I got my WSM in the summer and the two lowest outside temps I've cooked at was low 30s, mid-upper 20s wind chill. I used water one time and only foil in pan on the other. I used water on the low and slow cook (250) and foiled on the high temp cook (350). I used a digi in both, but had to open my bottom vents about 50 percent on the high temp cook.

Both times I used more charcoal than I would have normally under higher temps. I was a little surprised by how much.

P.S. I just noticed you're in MN. Most likely you'll be cooking at significantly lower temps. I'd just foil the pan if that's the case.

I still use water in the pan for ribs...everything else is cooked hot-n-fast so I just foil it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I smoke year round. That has included some times when the temps were in the teens. Sometimes I set up a wind break but beyond that I follow my usual procedures. Yes you may have to make a few adjustments but the WSM will chug along just fine regardless of the weather.

Mike

Like Mike I cook year around. I live a little northwest of him and it gets a little colder here.

The only difference is I will go through more fuel which only really affects overnight cooks. I use wind breaks year round, three sided and no top until winter when I use four sides and a top. Cold affects the fuel usage but wind and cold messes with temp consistency along with the fuel. It's windy here year around (hence the windmill farms around here) and have had best luck using a wind break year round.

I use the same process all year. I don't pay close enough attention to know if I use more fuel, but if there is any difference in the winter, that would be it. As has been said, find a wind break. On a cold January night with no wind about the only difference I notice is that I don't stand outside and stare at the wsm with a beer in my hand like I might in the summer.

I'm all year as well, but there's no question but I do it more in the nicer weather. Still, I'm already committed to a four butt smoke in late January. if the wind is strong, I'll try and protect that side, but things usually work all right.

A foiled but empty pan is usually plenty for me, unless I'm trying to do a really cold smoke such as cheese. That's year-round, really.

Back