Winter charcoal source?

Dave B.

TVWBB Member
Now that winter's approaching, where do you East Coasters get your charcoal? Even now, whenever I go into Lowe's/Home Depot/Walmart and ask for charcoal, the answer always starts off "well, if there's any left..."

So where do you all get your charcoal to keep cookin' through the winter? Order online? Or do you just stock up in the fall?

stock up on sales during the year is best. supply during the winter is spotty at best. here its not to bad for most as kingsford is stocked year round. i don't use the stuff so i stock up on ro. wal mart usually stocks their own brand, sam's choice, but no clue for you right coast folks.

Yeah stocking up just before end of season is probably best. Although I use only lump and buy it from a feed mill. They have it in stock all year round, since it's used for other things besides cooking. Usually though I buy about 10 20lb bags at a time, and around this time I am usually picking up another 10.

I agree with George... Stock up when it goes on sale, This a good time to start looking cause allot of places are selling off summer inventories. What part of the state do you hail from?

Yes, the best thing to do is stock up when most places are clearing their inventory, but I have never had a problem finding Kinsford at Home Depot during the winter months if I need it.

Thanks all, I picked up a few bags of Kingsford and a bag of Wicked Good lump (one of the last in stock). That should get me through most of the winter. I'll watch out for the spring/fall sales and stock up then.

If I had access to Wicked Good Lump, I would have most definitely stocked up. Generally stores like Sam's Club and Costco have it year round. Also, certain hardware stores specialize in BBQ equipment. They would tend to have charcoal year round. I've also gotten it from Gorden Food Service in the winter - so a restaurant supply store would probably have it.

Hi Dave, The fall is the best time to stock up. A lot of clearance sales are always on. I have enough to last throughout the winter. I would stock up for the following year if I had the room.

I have stock-piled K for years before the snow and, especially this summer, with the 6 bucks off Kingsford online coupon good until New Years Eve, I am certainly taking advantage of that deal.
S.O. thinks I'm INSANE... the neighbors ask if I'm planning the state's largest cookout.... little do they know that this stuff is GOLD come winter in Wisconsin.
http://good-times.webshots.com...09060105566169oQFUTG
not sure if this is enough....

jim, lay those bags down and ya can get at least twice as much on there.
icon_smile.gif

Jim

Are those brownish colored bags the hickory/flavored if you will, charcoal briquettes.

If so how do you like the flavored type as opposed to the regular kingsford briuittes.

I assume you don't use an wood idf you use the flavored ones.

By the way I'm stocking up on the kingsford with the coupon think i have enough for all of next year already. I buy a bag almost every trip to walmart with the $6 dollor coupon what a deal ???

Happy smoking !!!!

Back