Winn Dixie Boston Butt

Brian_S

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on the boston butt sold by Winn Dixie? Noticed it is on sale for $1.29/lb this week, thinking of picking one up, but i've never bought one from them.

Brian, most commercial pork is about all the same, and the differences are usually minor other than whether it's enhanced with sodium phosphates or left "natural". I don't waste time smoking pork that's been enhanced.

well this one ended up being Smithfield brand, but said "natural" not the enhanced I often see on their ribs. Either way its rubbed down and ready for tomorrow.

well this one ended up being Smithfield brand, but said "natural" not the enhanced I often see on their ribs. Either way its rubbed down and ready for tomorrow.

Brian, that's a relief to hear in case our Sam's start selling the Smithfield butts, as others have reported. Hope you have a good smoke today.

I'll give a report back on finished product. Did not take any pics prior to going on the mini, but it looked about like the bone-in butt I would get from Publix.

I've done some Smithfield butts before, and liked them just fine. I've made some great pulled pork from the Winn Dixie butts as well, for future reference (they run great sales on their own brand pretty frequently). Honestly, I haven't seen much difference among the various sources for pork butt I've sampled.

Well I thought it turned out fine, no pics as I had too much other stuff going on and company, but I would buy again when on sale. It took a little longer to finish than the last few from publix/costco, but haven't compared against old notes yet.

(HEAVY sigh)....I guess the good old days of .99 per pound butts have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur - used to see it on sale at that price not too infrequently here in SE Virginia; jumped for joy to see it this week at $1.49 per pound - lousy &*%$ ethanol's to blame, I s'pose - not to mention that stuff gumming up the carburetors on trimmers and blowers.....

Regards,

Rooster

What Derrick said, I just finished my first overnight (does starting at 1:00 am count as overnight?) smoke of a .99 cent 9 pounder. In 14 hours I reached 197 degrees and it's resting in foil right now.

Back