Wings - need advice.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
My daughters bought me a meat box as a gift which includes wings. I like wings but have never done them at home. I have a Genesis gasser, a WSM smoker and a Jumbo Joe charcoal grill. I have never deep fried at home and do not want to entertain doing so. With the equipment I have, could anyone recommend a recipe including a cooking method to use? I have three pounds of wings in separate one pound packages (frozen). I’m thinking I would try three cooks and hopefully get good results buy the third time (of course the first time would be best, but I’m willing to learn and adjust as I learn how to do this). Thanks in advance.

Tons of posts around here in a few different ways.....
Hot hot hot is the only way, anything low will result in not very edible wings....
I cook mine about 450....anything over 550 starts to add considerable colour............

Last edited:
Dry rub SPOG, a dash of cayenne or hot chili powder.

Coat the wings with the dry rub as you toss them in a large workbowl with a very small amount of oil to help the rub adhere.

Cook indirect heat in 400°-425°F for 40 minutes or until the skin is crisped. You’ll see the fat inside the flats actually boiling under the skin.

Serve as is or toss with a small amount of bbq sauce. I like to thin my sauce with ACV as it helps the sauce cover the wings better.

Last edited:
Cook indirect heat in 400°-425°F for 40 minutes or until the skin is crisped.
This is the part that’s hard to understand. I cook a nice size boneless skinless chicken breast at 400 in about 10 to 15 min. It really takes 40 minutes to cook a little wing? I’ve seen this in other instructions but it just seems way over the top. I guess they have enough fat to stay moist?

I do them in the pellet grills. Smoke until about half done, then crank to 400 or so, until crisp and done. Perfect

This is the part that’s hard to understand. I cook a nice size boneless skinless chicken breast at 400 in about 10 to 15 min. It really takes 40 minutes to cook a little wing? I’ve seen this in other instructions but it just seems way over the top. I guess they have enough fat to stay moist?
Not my quote substitute chicken for meat or whatever.

It takes time and energy to heat something up.

Bones take more energy to heat up than meat.

Basically, the bones suck up some of the energy that would otherwise cook the meat. So the meat gets a little less of the energy -- meaning it takes longer to get the energy it needed to cook.

i will venture a guess that you're cooking a thin or thinner boneless skinless breast in 15 minutes, over direct heat, which could be drying out the breast. i am only guessing here.

when i cook BL SL breasts, they're usually pretty thick and i cook them indirect and i cook them till they're 155F at the thickest part. this usually runs around 30 minutes cooktime, after searing the breast for 1-2 minutes upfront so as to mark and sear the outside so they hold moisture better when on the indirect side.

wings are basically dark meat so they do take longer and they're filled with fat and that fat does need to render down some. a 30 minute wing cooked as i described above will not allow the meat to easily pull/separate off the bone and will be chewy in texture.

Last edited:
As others have stated low and slow for chicken = tastes like rubber, IMO.
yeah, you have to have high heat to get crisped chicken skin.

i cook my wing with a chunk of wood atop the grate,, above the coals, and on high heat. smoky, cooked and delicious wings. i do all my chicken pieces this way. chicken loves oak. in fact, that's my leftovers lunch today.

I also throw a few chunks of wood in the baskets when doing wings. Wings are so easy on the Performer put the baskets together in the middle few small chunks of wood ring the wings around the edge in a circle I always put foil around the edge on the grate so as not to make a mess easy cleanup just remove the foil before the next cook. I never use sauce gave that up along time ago serve it on the side do what you want to do, want Buffalo got some on the side want want ginger or whatever let me know what you want and I will have it. Alot of times my wife likes them just plain they have a rub on them so she is good.

I also throw a few chunks of wood in the baskets when doing wings. Wings are so easy on the Performer put the baskets together in the middle few small chunks of wood ring the wings around the edge in a circle I always put foil around the edge on the grate so as not to make a mess easy cleanup just remove the foil before the next cook. I never use sauce gave that up along time ago serve it on the side do what you want to do, want Buffalo got some on the side want want ginger or whatever let me know what you want and I will have it. Alot of times my wife likes them just plain they have a rub on them so she is good.
and with a beer, always.

Just give me a week or so I have a wing cook planned.....low n slow smoked in the E6.....
Then frying them on the Slate.....was given an important piece of advice from a friend with a Blackstone.....
Apparently there will be no other way....we will see soon....

Thats because you finish them hot at 400 I believe you said.
Yes, but the majority is L&S. Now TBH have never had a desire to even bother trying a L&S start to finish. 1, I do wings precisely because I want to have some crisp skin and spicy eats. But I also want them tender and smoky. So L&S until almost safely edible then crank the heat until finished.

Are they whole wings or trimmed to flats, drumettes?
You could smoke them for a few hours and then crisp over the WSM or gasser.
I’m not sure but if they’re whole wings, I will trim them up.

The OP has 3# and 3 different cooks so he has a few options.
I like crispy and also bite thru skin and to achieve the latter you need to jaccard the skin then do it L&S and finish HH,
Just another method.

Back