Wings...Help!! What method should I use?

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I’ve got a few pounds of wings to cook tomorrow. I want some smoke on them, but I also want them crispy. Do I:

1) Grill indirect in the kettle?
2) Grill using the Vortex and smoking wood? (If so, where do you put the wood? Wouldn’t it get consumed without making much smoke directly over the flame?)
3) Smoke in the WSM and finish in the air fryer ? (How long would it take the air fryer to just crisp the skin?

Of those options I'd lean toward #3, although I can't hazard a guess as to how long they'd need to be in the air fryer.

Alternatively, you could grill them direct over a medium-high heat, wood-heavy or even all-wood fire.

Fortunately for you my calendar is clear tomorrow, so I could come over and provide some objective quality control. ;)

Ok, here is where Brad and I will take a different route, with all due respect.
I’d Vortex placing the smoke wood off the direct heat, maybe put two pieces, “North and South” on the perimeter. Then, place the wings out there too.
For years I used your set up #1, with fine results. The Vortex is a step up, you can get the smoke, and the crispy skin without using two cooking devices and needing to clean two pieces of equipment!

I air dry mine in the fridge overnight.
Pierce the skin the next day to help render the fat and season liberally.
Cook indirect for 20-30 minutes, then crisp the skin directly over the coals.

Ok, here is where Brad and I will take a different route, with all due respect.
I’d Vortex placing the smoke wood off the direct heat, maybe put two pieces, “North and South” on the perimeter. Then, place the wings out there too.
For years I used your set up #1, with fine results. The Vortex is a step up, you can get the smoke, and the crispy skin without using two cooking devices and needing to clean two pieces of equipment!

How far away from the flame do you put it? Out as far as the chicken?

Are you using a GBS or full top grate? If a full grate, near the Vortex but, not necessarily right over. If you can pull the center section, I’d set it as near center as possible. I suppose you could do the Harry Soo smoke wood “under the coal” method but, I have no experience with that.

Are you using a GBS or full top grate? If a full grate, near the Vortex but, not necessarily right over. If you can pull the center section, I’d set it as near center as possible. I suppose you could do the Harry Soo smoke wood “under the coal” method but, I have no experience with that.

Regular grate with the two hinged sides. Based on what you said, I think I understand better how to do that. Thanks!

If using the vortex and they are not crispy enough you can put them over the vortex for a couple of seconds. Be quick as more than a few seconds and they are charcoal. Just do two or three at a time or by the time you get them removed they are burned. Good luck! 😀

If using the vortex and they are not crispy enough you can put them over the vortex for a couple of seconds. Be quick as more than a few seconds and they are charcoal. Just do two or three at a time or by the time you get them removed they are burned. Good luck! 😀
Thanks! I’ve only had to use that technique once. Worked like a charm...and yeah, you have to be quick!!!

This is my method....
Dry wings and then lightly dust them in baking powder (aluminum free).
Load up charcoal baskets (or vortex) and place in center of grill. I use GBS grate and remove center section.
Throw a couple wood chunks of your choosing on the coals. Open both vents wide open.
Grill the wings indirect by placing them around the perimeter. I usually flip them after about 25-30 min with a total cook time around 45 min.
After pulling them, toss them in your favorite sauce.

They come out crispy outside and juicy inside. This method never fails me!

I recently bought a small cast iron skillet that I'll be using in the future for the sauce....when wings a close to being done heat up the sauce in skillet before tossing them so that way the sauce doesn't cool down the wings.

Back