Will Costco repackage ribs?

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
Looking to find a decent source of babyback ribs. I saw some at Costco last trip, but they were packed 3 racks to a package. Will Costco repackage them if you ask? I would buy two packages if they could wrap them as two racks per package. Three racks is way too much for two people over 65! Thanks. We used to get some great babybacks at Walmart from Salmon Creek Farms, but they are only available mail order at a very high price!

Last edited:
IIRC, Costco does sell BB ribs in Styrofoam packs, basically the three-pack broken down to a single rack pack. this will be in the meat case of packaged meats, not cryovac packs near the pork section.

you could also ask the butcher if they'll break down the 3-pack for you. i've had lots of success over the years at the Summerlin Costco. the meat department people are very friendly and helpful (i've had the same experience at other Costco stores too).

For the value, I have been very happy to have gotten a vacuum packer. This repacking thing isn’t an uncommon thought but, it’s how Costco saves customers money.
They open boxes and put the cryopack stuff out, they don’t do a lot of individual butchering, they might cut some things but, full service is not what they do.
If you want to get ribs, racks of pork, pretty any of the “deal” stuff, get a vacuum packer and break it down yourself, pack label and freeze it, you will be pleased!
The cost of a vacuum unit can be “not a lot” to “HOW MUCH does that cost!?” So, look before you leap.
The folks here encouraged me to not get the cheapest junk and I got a medium price unit, I kind of wish I’d stepped up a bit but, this worked well enough for me.
I understand your feeling, most of the time we are just two but, weekly I do a bigger dinner project.

For the value, I have been very happy to have gotten a vacuum packer. This repacking thing isn’t an uncommon thought but, it’s how Costco saves customers money.
They open boxes and put the cryopack stuff out, they don’t do a lot of individual butchering, they might cut some things but, full service is not what they do.
If you want to get ribs, racks of pork, pretty any of the “deal” stuff, get a vacuum packer and break it down yourself, pack label and freeze it, you will be pleased!
The cost of a vacuum unit can be “not a lot” to “HOW MUCH does that cost!?” So, look before you leap.
The folks here encouraged me to not get the cheapest junk and I got a medium price unit, I kind of wish I’d stepped up a bit but, this worked well enough for me.
I understand your feeling, most of the time we are just two but, weekly I do a bigger dinner project.
all very good points.

@Dan Leighton, check out WINCO by you too. they run sales on single-pack ribs often. you can buy there and stock up a few too. and those are individual cryovac too.

Yeah, the difference between baby backs and what Costco sells are night and day
They’re the same. Both are cut from where the loin is removed, at the spine downward.

All other ribs are derivatives of full spare ribs.

Agreed.
There is no difference.
I don't think it's really the case. As, if you look at the packages on those they say Pork Loin Back Ribs (or something very similar). I have never seen the words "Baby Back Ribs" on them. And when I have bought true Baby Back ribs from the butcher shop in Arlington Hts IL, they look, cook and eat VERY differently from regular old "Loin Back Ribs". Difference is night and day

I just individually vacuum seal Costco ribs when I get them home and put them in the freezer....easy

As for baby backs... Technically they're the same thing as loin back...as far as I know..... However when I've gotten them at a restaurant that specializes in them......they simply don't have much meat on them compared to loin backs..... They are trimmed without much meat.. the bones are also thinner and longer...... Loin backs can be more meat than rib.. almost too much meat. It really may come down to age of the pig... And how it's cut..... For different buywrs .... But technically it's still a loin back rib.

Last edited:
The ones I get have VERY small bones that are longer and a slightly less meat cap than Costco/Sam's. They are also 1000 times better tasting and eating as well
Yep, those are the good ones. They are very hard to find in a grocery store. I usually spend a few minutes digging through the packages hoping to find ones that are like that.

I've read that "true" baby backs are closer to 1.75# a rack compared to 2+lb's for loin back.
Must be age and size of pig.
Meijer has individual vac sealed racks compared to the three pack at Sam's.
Sam's are usually larger. Anytime I vac seal I'll wrap the bones with freezer paper or saran wrap so they don't puncture the bag.
The commercial vac bags are a bit thicker.

I don't think it's really the case. As, if you look at the packages on those they say Pork Loin Back Ribs (or something very similar). I have never seen the words "Baby Back Ribs" on them. And when I have bought true Baby Back ribs from the butcher shop in Arlington Hts IL, they look, cook and eat VERY differently from regular old "Loin Back Ribs". Difference is night and day
I guess we'll agree to disagree.
I'm more of a fan of St. Louis style anyway.
That said I'll get some the next time we visit one of our favorite butchers and find out for myself ;)

The ones I get have VERY small bones that are longer and a slightly less meat cap than Costco/Sam's. They are also 1000 times better tasting and eating as well
Most meats are better from a good butcher. We're at the point where we can't eat as much meat now, so we'll spend the extra $$ to buy quality meats from a butcher. We have a few good ones a relatively short drive away.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.
I'm more of a fan of St. Louis style anyway.
That said I'll get some the next time we visit one of our favorite butchers and find out for myself ;)
Well that being said, the supermarket ribs (back ribs) IMO are so bad compared to if I driver 120 miles round trip for what I know to be true baby backs, that I've given up on the back ribs entirely and only do St Louis ribs. Although even that disappoints me since if you buy the St Louis ones at Costco you pay a bit more per lb, but I still have to trim them up a lot. I am a little persnickety on that. LOL.

Well that being said, the supermarket ribs (back ribs) IMO are so bad compared to if I driver 120 miles round trip for what I know to be true baby backs, that I've given up on the back ribs entirely and only do St Louis ribs. Although even that disappoints me since if you buy the St Louis ones at Costco you pay a bit more per lb, but I still have to trim them up a lot. I am a little persnickety on that. LOL.
With the exception of the prime packers,(which are few and far between), and pork belly, we've pretty much given up on meats at Costco. I'd rather pay the extra $$$ for quality at the butcher. We have a Harris Teeter nearby, with a couple of pretty good butchers and pretty good to great cuts of beef but, as far as availability goes, it's hit or miss.

I've got to agree with several posters about true baby backs! I corrected the original post to Salmon Creek Farms which had actual baby backs at Walmart for a couple of years. The "more meat" ribs tend to have more grease as well which doesn't seem to rend out even with trimming before grilling. I've looked at a few butchers here in LV, but haven't found true baby backs. If I didn't like them so much not buried in sauce (dry) it wouldn't be a big deal. Makes me miss Memphis Championship BBQ here in LV before he sold it and retired before Mike Mills passing. Before we moved here his place was close to the airport. We'd get off the plane, get the rental car and stop there for dinner.

The wife and I buy all our meats in “value packs” from Costco or other stores when they have sales.
It’s never fun but we repackage almost all our meats to meal size portions with our vacuum sealer.

As far as baby back ribs go, Costco sells them on the West Coast. I’m sure they do in other areas but I only know about the West Coast.
It is the top cut of ribs from the area the lion is removed (as Brett said) .
They are the thick bone ribs that have a curve to the bone.
I think sometimes the quality and value is better than other times and those are the times I buy and sit on them.
Are there really any other types of BBR’s other than some are meatier than others?
That would be news to me.

Meat quality and its pricing is an odd thing.
The local Walmart sell the exact same Smithfield’s St.Louis style ribs as Safeway but much cheaper.
This Walmart is also the store that sells tri-tip with absolutely no marbling just deep red meat like it’s a funny cut rump roast.
Needless to say I don’t shop meat at Walmart but I do watch their pricing.

Back