Will a Weber Genesis 5000 fit in the back of a Subaru Outback?

Jon B in MN

TVWBB Member
The answer is yes (with the lid removed).

For those that missed my post in the other thread, I happened to come across this Genesis 5000 at my local Ace hardware waiting to go to the dump yesterday.

9ptqeD7h.jpg

Had to make another trip back to Ace today and the grill was still there, so decided to take it home.

8POtkWVh.jpg

xSJ1H5Ih.jpg

Seems like everything is there including all the glass, the side tables, side burner, and even the smoker box.

Don't really have room for two grills, so I'll either need to find a new home for this or try and sell my Genesis 1000.

That was a score and worth the effort. Congrats and nice job rescuing the classic from the landfill.

Great save!

It's great to have a wagon with 2nd row seats that fold flat like that, I've brought home many Webers with side burners using that method.

Did the hardware store just give it to you for free?

Great save!

It's great to have a wagon with 2nd row seats that fold flat like that, I've brought home many Webers with side burners using that method.

Did the hardware store just give it to you for free?

Yep got it for free. The store offers free haul away of old grills when delivering a new grill, and they line them up outside the store until someone comes to haul them to the dump. Not sure if all Ace Hardware stores do it, but for anyone else looking to get a good deal on a used grill it might be worth a look at your local Ace.

Nice score! Now you can designate one of those grills as your dedicated rotisserie grill...if you do decide to keep them both.

That is one great score! I hope you keep it and restore it well. If you decide no, then I hope you find it a good deserving home where it will be. I would be hard pressed to let that one slip through my fingers. Said by the same person who has been lamenting that I don’t have room for the grills I already have - not to mention a dozen unfinished projects :eek:!

Really nice score. Although I have no room either and other projects lined up I would have gotten it as well.

Another thing you scored was the removable matching porcelain tray. I was just looking at the 1990 Genesis brochure I have that shows a Genesis 5 (just like your 5000) that had that feature. I thought to myself “Well, you will never find one of those things still in existence!” Wow, that is really rare!!

Another thing you scored was the removable matching porcelain tray. I was just looking at the 1990 Genesis brochure I have that shows a Genesis 5 (just like your 5000) that had that feature. I thought to myself “Well, you will never find one of those things still in existence!” Wow, that is really rare!!

Is this the tray you’re talking about, or is it some sort of weird hack?

Attachments

• 174ED5DB-8796-4F1C-BE2A-2E31F8197A5B.png
    174ED5DB-8796-4F1C-BE2A-2E31F8197A5B.png
    591.9 KB · Views: 22
P.S. check out the drip pan on this grill.

Attachments

• C9814DBB-04FE-4BAC-8D0F-BDE23D0F5A91.png
    C9814DBB-04FE-4BAC-8D0F-BDE23D0F5A91.png
    587.8 KB · Views: 21
Yes, what Jeff posted is it. I didn't think that any would have survived this long. A really great find if you can find one intact.

Back