Wicker's Marinade/Mop/Sauce Clone

Thanks for that Jeff, didn't notice it was for 3 bottles.
Maybe I'll buzz them this week and make a shipping method suggestion.
I want to try their thick version.

You can't tell that it is for 3 bottles until you add it to a shopping cart. Might mention that to them, too...if they're in a mood to listen.

Just to defend Wickers, that is $9.21 for 3 24 ounce bottles.

Not using USPS is wrong. Not only are they cheap and dependable, they need the business if we're going to continue to have a mail system.

If their web site is right, just about every supermarket in Springfield carries it. I had never heard of it before this thread came back to life. I'll have to grab a bottle and try it out.
those same three 24 oz bottles cost $18.88 in shipping to my address. That is still over $9.30 a bottle.

I can still make it cheaper AND I do not mind saying the recipe I use is pretty dang close to their original.

Several of those would fit in a flat rate box and ship for about $12.xx

We started shipping more through USPS instead of just UPS back in March.

The flat rate boxes are more expensive than weight/dimensions & using your own box.

I'd imagine the shipping would be closer to $6.50 - $8.50 per 3 pack.

I'll politely disagree, unless you're shipping bullion (gold/silver/lead) you're better off using weights/dimensions and your own box.

One of the products we ship is 18"x58"x2", 5#, and it costs between $11 & $14 depending on where it's going in the lower 48, which is very similar to what UPS charges. Not exactly what you expect to see in a mail truck, is it.

That's just my experience though, Jeff. I've found that the real big difference comes at or around 12 oz, plus or minus. Where UPS is $7, USPS can be closer to $2.53 @ 12 oz, $5 @ ~3#. This is in boxes from 4x4x4 to 10x10x10 or thereabouts.

As interesting as I find postage and shipping though....I really don't GAS.

I do intend to try the marinade, almost sorry I even replied.

Clint,

Not bullion, but close to it. My frame of reference is steel tools. Some of them are very dense, making the flat rate boxes a good deal much of the time. When I was shipping every day we compared just about every package. For the most part, you're right...you're better off using your own packaging and shipping by weight. But, small heavy items that fit in the USPS boxes could be quite a bit less going flat rate. I only mentioned this because something like a bottle of sauce might hit that balance point of density. Then again...it might not.

Didn't mean to argue for argument's sake.

I can't recall seeing Wickers in the Boston area. But I did get a bottle of Moores marinade from a friend recently. Has anyone used this? Jim lampe said he found it very salty and I'm surprised that it says on the bottle to only marinate in it for a half hour or an hour.very specifically NOT overnight. Must have some potent tenderizers in it.

Well, turns out I don't have to worry about shipping at all. Both the supermarkets I shop most often carry Wickers. $3.09 at one and 3.15 at the other. Got a bottle and a bird. Report tomorrow night after dinner. Interesting color...sort of strawberry pop red.

Well, turns out I don't have to worry about shipping at all. Both the supermarkets I shop most often carry Wickers. $3.09 at one and 3.15 at the other. Got a bottle and a bird. Report tomorrow night after dinner. Interesting color...sort of strawberry pop red.
Shake well before using :)
I thought it was about $3.80 here, I was wrong, it's $3.14.

Thanks Jim! I'm going to try this...soon!

Mike, I'm going to check here to see if Fry's or Safeway or Wally's carries it. If so I'd be happy to ship the real deal to you so you can compare the original to the recipe.
I'll let you know in a couple of days.
I can just give it to the Pony Express rider the next time he goes to Payson:rolleyes:

edit, jinx you owe me a coke Jeff!

I'll be happy to pay up next time I'm in St. Louis!

BTW, you were right, the strawberry pop red went away as soon as you shake the bottle. Lovely mahogany then. Hope the cooked bird lives up to the smell when you open the bottle. Cut up whole chicken in a bag full of Wicker's since 7:30 this morning.

Mike, I'm going to check here to see if Fry's or Safeway or Wally's carries it. If so I'd be happy to ship the real deal to you so you can compare the original to the recipe.
I'll let you know in a couple of days.
I can just give it to the Pony Express rider the next time he goes to Payson:rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer Rich! However, it sounds like AZ is out of luck.

You can look Rich, but AZ isn't on the where to buy list.
http://www.wickersbbq.com/where-to-buy/

You and Mike can PM me your addresses and I'll send you each a bottle, no charge.
Making a $5 donation to TVWB optional. :coolkettle:

Thanks for the offer Bob, but whenever I can get back to St. Louis for a visit I'll pick some up then!

make the damn stuff dudes! You'll love it!!

That's the plan Jim, that's the plan!

Back