Wicked Good Charcoal

Don Sycz

TVWBB Member
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Weekend Warrior Briquettes and if you did how did they compare to the lump? Thanks

That's funny, I was just looking at Wicked Good's site and wondering the same thing. I wish they would bring back the Competition Blend..........I only have four bags left.

I was just looking last night to see if they had a distributor around my area. I also saw they have a weekend warrior briquettes. That sound interesting. Nobody local I guess I will have to call for prices. Not much info on their site.

I really want some more Kamado but getting a response from the company is next to impossible and I don't really want to wait a couple of months to get it.

I think you are more likely to get a personal response from John Lennon than you are to get one from the Kamado folks. I've never heard of a company that makes it so hard to buy their product. Maddeningly frustrating...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
I think you are more likely to get a personal response from John Lennon than you are to get one from the Kamado folks. I've never heard of a company that makes it so hard to buy their product. Maddeningly frustrating... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think Bruce tried and got no where. I use what I have sparingly. It's great for overnights. I use Royal Oak Lump for all other cooks. I would like to try some other brands but the only other lump I've come across is Cowboy and from what I hear, it's not as good as Royal Oak, so I didn't bother.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you are more likely to get a personal response from John Lennon than you are to get one from the Kamado folks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO
icon_biggrin.gif
I don't care who you are, thats funny.

I got in on a group buy a couple of years ago. We ended up waiting a couple of months. I didn't mind that but I would have liked it a lot better if they had told us that up front. We finally recieved our CEL and it was great while it lasted. I have called a couple of times and emailed with no response. Even their forum has a bit to be desired.

Edit: Jerry I like royal oak but it doesn't compare to Kamado. Michigan has GFS stores don't they? You can get RO there in 20# bags for $10. They have it year around here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Edit: Jerry I like royal oak but it doesn't compare to Kamado. Michigan has GFS stores don't they? You can get RO there in 20# bags for $10. They have it year around here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you completely, Kamado is great stuff. I do have some of it still from a group buy awhile back. I use RO lump as my regular charcoal and yes I get it at GFS (it's great to have a consistent supply of decent charcoal). I would like to try some others like Wicked Good but I'm too cheap to pay for shipping and I don't know of a store around here that carries it or any other brand that is worth trying.

There has been some talk on another site about moldy and wet Kamado recently and another example of their wonderful customer service, (NOT).

On the Wicked good competition blend, due to the reduction in supplies of at least one of the hardwoods from their South American suppliers, they couldn't maintain the blend at the correct ratios, and so they had to change from producing Competition Blend to the Weekend Warrior blend.

I can't remember if this reduction was because of forest protection or un-sustainability issues, but there is reference to it on the Wicked Goods web site somewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jeff, I think you misunderstood my post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are right. I would like to try other stuff but like you I am too cheap to pay shipping.

Chris it was on the Komado forums. They said one of the containers had a hole in it and the trip across got some wet. They are also claiming the have started packing themselves on the asian end and also are going to start shrink wrapping the boxes. A couple of nice features but doesn't help if you can't place an order.

Adam, you should call the Duraflame people some time. For a big organization, it surprised me that when I talked to their sales manager he had no idea who really distributed or stocked Duraflame charcoal around the country<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
I think you are more likely to get a personal response from John Lennon than you are to get one from the Kamado folks. I've never heard of a company that makes it so hard to buy their product. Maddeningly frustrating... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Don,
Any word on the Wicked Good Briquettes?
I got some spares on now that should be ready in a a coupla hours. Man, I'm glad the weather has turned for the bettter. Woo Hoo smokin again!

Tom,
I can't give a fair review on the briquettes yet, I only used them to start my full ring of lump. (Minion Method) They started easy enough with 2 sheets of newspaper with my chimney starter and had no problem bringing the WSM up to temp. I will be traveling the next couple of weeks so I will not get a chance to smoke anything for awhile. I don't know how I'm going to handle the withdrawals I'm totally addicted to smoking. When I get back and do use them for a lengthy cook I will let you know.

Hi Dudley,

I used the briquettes for a baby back smoke a couple of months ago. I filled the ring and barely used a third of it over a 5 hour cook. I was very happy with the results too. Temps very easy to control, definitely less ash than K.

Give 'em a try.

Mark

I just ordered some. I'll post an opinion as soon as I try it.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has already tried it too.

Back