Why would this happen??

Julia B.

I used my WSM for the first time this weekend. During my first attempt with Ribs, the bottom grate ribs burned more then the top. My temp never went over 280 (it spiked for a second and made adjustments) and maintained good temps from 230-250. I didn't spray them as much as the top rack. I did use a brown sugar rub but went light on the sugar. My water bowl never ran dry.

Thoughts??

I'm surprised they burned at those temps. Were the ribs close to the edge of the grate? You might have gotten some direct heat on them, or hotter temps closer to the edge.

I know there is a temperature differential between the bottom and the top grate, though I don't remember which spot gets hotter, but I didn't think it was substantial enough to burn food. I agree with Drew, food that sits outside of the edge water bowl (regardless of which grate its on) has a greater chance of getting direct heat. However it doesn't sound like that's what happened to you.

Hmm... I don't know, I'd say the best way to figure it out is to do another cook and see if it happens again. At the very least it'll give you more experience with you WSM! By the way, what size is your WSM?

If temps never got above 280 I feel like they would of had to be on the cooker for a LONG time to burn... Were you basing temp of dome thermometer?
Do you have a picture of the final product to share?

As Tommy asked about using the dome temp - this isn't the best to use with any type of bbq/smoker. You want the temp down at the meat itself. Also as Brian was speaking of temp differentials between the grates: heat rises so top will be hotter than the bottom grate so it does baffle on the issue of the bottom rack of ribs burning.

Duration of cook would be needed as well to help with giving an update on the problem.

Thank you all for your replies...

I have an 18 WSM from about 2012. (Just picked her up from CL) I have another thermometer I used because I didnt want to rely on the dome and it actually stayed within 10-20 degrees of the dome. I put the ribs on at 2:30 and took them off at roughly 7:30.

Here is one picture from the bottom grate. Not the worst but I wasnt pleased with this one

bad_zpstei1eg7q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Top Rack

Ribs_zpsoj5csnr7.jpg

I don't see burned ribs in any of the pictures.

Not burned, but the ones from the bottom rack look like the surface dried out some. If you spritzed/sprayed the ones on top but not those on the bottom, that's probably why. You'd think that having water in the pan would have prevented that, but maybe not. Also, temps are usually a bit lower on the bottom grate; the actual difference depends on what you have (or don't have) in the water pan. I usually run a foiled, empty pan, and typically see about 10 degrees more on the top grate vs. the bottom.

The meat was amazing and well cooked. I was concerned about the meat not separating from the bone as well. The only other thing is that the ribs were very lean. Not much fat at all.

I think you did a good job on the cook. If the meat was good I think you nailed it... The outside should be a little bit crusty in my book!

Back