Why vertical handles on smoker?

Hey, I like the “knob” idea, especially for an 18 or smaller. The weight of the barrel on those is going to be an easier lift.
Bigger handles on a 22 makes sense but for the lighter units, a pair of knobs is brilliant!
As for mounting handles vertically, you can still have your wrists in a more relaxed orientation than turned “down”
Mere speculation on my part, I’ve never lifted the center section during a cook so, I’ve no experience first hand but, I really do like the knob idea.

Yeah I like that knob idea also. I don’t see why a couple of metal knobs would not work on a 22. The center section is really not that much heavier than a 18. Think I may just have to make a run to the hardware store today.

I replaced the vertical garage door handles on my 18 with four of these knobs. Much more use-able. Screw right into the existing top bracket holes in like 10 seconds. Big enough for a good grip, stay cool to the touch, and stick out enough to not require hot gloves.

Just be careful to buy the right size and length T bolts to fit your cooker. I forget which one was the right one, so you'd have to measure. Maybe 1 inch long? Definitely the smaller diameter threading.

Last edited:
Vertical is ...odd. There, I said it.

I'll say this too, you also need a set on the bottom for picking it up and dumping it. Yeah, can use the legs....but if you need to cary it a ways, handles are very nice.

Simple black handles and as screws are perfect IMO. I don't understand vertical galvanized garage door handles, but to each their own.

IMG_20181229_172258572.jpg

Last edited:
I move my 22" around a fair amount and am 100% OK without handles. I can't recall taking the barrel off during a cook, or when hot, but I've got welding gloves and a reasonably sure grip. I think either handle orientation would work OK. I would lean toward vertical handles it seems like that way you'd have a little less strain on your wrists when lifting.

IMO, the vertical handles suck badly in several ways.

First, when using the existing WSM holes the grab point is too low. So you have to awkwardly squat down to get a good grip and you have to lift the hot cooker higher up off the ground. Second, they are a bit flat to the cooker -- burned knuckles! Third, when lifting up with your arms bent at a 90 degree angle, there's a tendency to pull the lifted object into your torso. Ask me how I know this... : )

It is much easier/better if handles are located at the top of the mid-section and are also horizontal. Let's you stand up straight. Let's you pull up in a normal motion, makes it easy to hold the hot metal barrel away from your body, let's you move the hot metal barrel while keeping it lower to the ground.

Not surprisingly, that's exactly how the handles are on those bullet smokers that come with handles. See below.

Since I never use the water pan, I take the hot mid-section off fairly frequently. Easier to add lit coals that way than going through the door. And when making wings or tri-tip, I remove the mid-section to do a final crisp/sear by putting the cooking grate down on the ring.

But if you don't want to drill new holes, knobs using the top holes >>>> vertical handles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFLYWF6/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJCNVC9/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Y83ZQ2/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQMDZYY/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
Yeah I like that knob idea also. I don’t see why a couple of metal knobs would not work on a 22. The center section is really not that much heavier than a 18. Think I may just have to make a run to the hardware store today.
Metal knobs... conductivity? Unless you plan on some kind of insulator...scorched fingers might be...”unpleasant”.
I’m leaning toward a large wooden (doorknob sized) handle.
I have never had a situation requiring such an extreme “barrel” removing concern but, I’m not saying it might not happen.

I move my 22" around a fair amount and am 100% OK without handles. I can't recall taking the barrel off during a cook, or when hot, but I've got welding gloves and a reasonably sure grip. I think either handle orientation would work OK. I would lean toward vertical handles it seems like that way you'd have a little less strain on your wrists when lifting.

I've had a bed of coals go out in cook and need to be re-lit. I lifted whole hot shell off......including a brisket.....dumped some new coals on from a chimney, replaced shell. Back in business.

Try that without handles. Simple with handles.

My metal handles aren't too hot. Little contact area with shell. I have fiber gaskets under there too. Never need gloves....just don't let knuckles touch she'll.

Thanks for the info everyone! It's nice to get opinions from people that have already done this. After reading everyones opinions I think I'm going to put my handles on horizontally. The nice thing about that to is if I want to hang tongs or a spatula from it then I can hang them on the handles.

the garage handle on mine doubles as an attachment point to hold the thermometer. That way the mount comes off and the cover still fits!
F76B8DE8-6E59-43E7-8887-246101F98C0C.jpeg72B638A5-C68A-4EBE-9632-E6DC602EEC1C.jpeg]4C035270-FEFA-4988-A059-74A85081BBD6.jpegEF06AD47-CA2E-4D9A-AC40-7E0D5FCAE507.jpeg233169A8-7002-4726-9216-4DF11561CE24.jpeg

Last edited:

Back