Why is a WSM so much $$$?

Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Why is a WSM so expensive? Because it's worth it seems too simple, but that is the answer.

That reminds me of a joke I heard recently about getting a divorce
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Veglia:
I just got my 2009 18" and it was made in Mexico according to box labels...
I assume you're referring to the 2009 18-1/2" WSM? If so, I don't believe that's true. The box is clearly labeled:

"Designed and Engineered by Weber in Palatine, IL, USA. Made in the USA."

If you can produce a photo showing "Made in Mexico", I'd like to see it. Maybe you're referring to the name and address of the Weber importer printed in Spanish on the top of the box? That's the company that receives the WSM when shipped to Mexico.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi again Chris,

Oops! My mistake and apologies! I checked the box again tonight and the label I saw was an export label for the Mexico distributors (of course it is in Spanish which I understand way too little of). Lower down on the box I did see the much more prominent "Made In USA" markings.

Hopefully I haven't trashed my credibility to bad! I stand corrected.

Looking forward to that first smoke this weekend! Hopefully I can snag some of those 69 cent/lb butts from Save-Mart.

They are a little pricey, but so far i love it. i really debated between the 18 and 22, but for the extra $100 i figure i can feed the whole neighborhood..... Great smoker, wish the door was a little better design. So Far, So Good
Dan

they wouldn't be so expensive if we would all just act like there "OK". we shouldnt talk them up so much.. we did it to ourselves.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Dan Peter:
They are a little pricey, but so far i love it. i really debated between the 18 and 22, but for the extra $100 i figure i can feed the whole neighborhood..... Great smoker, wish the door was a little better design. So Far, So Good
Dan

yeah the door is my only real critical complaint with the 22. it took me nearly 2 hours to get the curves right so it would fit correctly. they really need to get a handle (so to speak) on that door issue.

It is definitely worth it. The design allows you to set and forget, try that with an offset charcoal....

Plus you can find weber grills cheaper if you look on craigslist or store sales.

I second Jerry N's comments. I can't tell you how many times I almost bought an ECB thinking "how much better can the weber be that it is nearly 4 times the price?". I know people that went the ECB route and they wouldn't dream of doing a cook of more than a couple hours. I too decided to go Weber largely because of this site. I have no regrets and love my WSM. And for those where price is an issue, keeping an eye on CL for a couple months could easily net you a WSM for under $150.

I'm amazed at how much it's gone up in price since 2005 when I got mine....I think I paid $179.00 for it then....to see the new model for $299.00 makes me glad I put the investment in back then.

Heck I got mine for $199.99 last year on Amazon, did have to pay sales tax on top of that though. Now the same older model is priced at $224. Cheap? Not at all. Worth it? I definitely think so. Pay a little more upfront for something that performs better and lasts longer. Warranty and parts availability contribute to the higher cost too. Peace of mind has its price.

Here in finland i had to pay 300euros(around 400$) and got it quite cheap, retail price is 359euros, and i'm talking about 18-1/2" model.
But it's definetly worth every €
wsmsmile8gm.gif

with the exception of the cooking grates, my dad has had his weber kettle since the early 70's. it has been mostly stored outdoors in michigan winters!

i have a 10 year old kettle that is still perfect, and i have zero worries about my WSM holding up.

bottom line is that you pay for quality, and i am more than willing to pay for it! these webers last a lifetime.

its worth every penny. i had a chargriller offset that was awfully hard to regulate temps.the powder coat paint kept burning off in spots and the cover leaked so then it would rust.it was ½ the cost and about ½ as good as the weber.
the wsm is the easiest to use and longest lasting smoker around. a pretty good combination

Originally posted by Greg:
with the exception of the cooking grates, my dad has had his weber kettle since the early 70's. it has been mostly stored outdoors in michigan winters!

i have a 10 year old kettle that is still perfect, and i have zero worries about my WSM holding up.

bottom line is that you pay for quality, and i am more than willing to pay for it! these webers last a lifetime.

As Greg said, you pay for quality; I have a 15 yo Weber Genesis that I'd put up against most new grills (except for the new Webers). New the grill was about $500, amortize that over 15 years and that's about $33 per year I've used her. I'm sure she'll last at least another 10 years. Money well spent . . . actually she was a gift from my father but it was money well spend on his end.

EDIT: I should add that I replaced the grates and flavorizor bars recently. I'll probably get at least another 15 years use out of her.

I'm with Larry on this one, not just the the WSM but things in general. No matter how much you pay for something, if you use it all the time it's worth the money. If you save money by buying something cheaper and don't use it as much or don't enjoy it-you really haven't saved any money.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone quote the famous:

"Buy the best and you'll only cry once."

Perhaps a large point of discussion has been missed here. If you look at the 100's of posts here about all the cuts of meat cooked on the WSM the cost of the smoker becomes pretty minimal per smoke. Few forums so strongly support their equipment as this one. Simply stated, with a WSM you can look in here and see you get a lot of bang for the buck. And we're not talking thousands. Bob

The thing that impresses me is how many backyards have a Weber kettle back there somewhere, out in the weather, they get cooked on maybe once or twice a year, and yet they just run fine, maybe replace the grate now and again if it's really been abused. Even the wooden handled ones mostly look pretty good, including the wood.

Back