Why is a WSM so much $$$?

If you call Weber and tell them your WSM has a damaged part, they will send one out "No Charge". I bet they said "Hey, were giving away the store, better jack up the price a little".

Originally posted by Jim McMaster:
I'm amazed at how much it's gone up in price since 2005 when I got mine....I think I paid $179.00 for it then....to see the new model for $299.00 makes me glad I put the investment in back then.

I have a $179 one, too, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did.

The reason they are so costly is that the porcelain finish is polished with the oil from unicorn hooves.

Originally posted by Larry D.:
The reason they are so costly is that the porcelain finish is polished with the oil from unicorn hooves.
So how does Unicorn taste?

I don't think the WSM is expensive. You would probably have a heart attack if you looked at the price of a BGE.

Down here in Australia, the WSM is Aus $699.00 for the 18.5 inch..we don't get the 22.5 inch down here.

With the Aussie dollar now at .93 US cents, you reckon they'll come down....not likely
icon_confused.gif

Cheers

Davo

I was looking at a 22" WSM and had a heckuva sticker shock! I paid the same price for my CS as a 22" WSM.... and the CS has electronics and has the look and feel of a commercial cooker.

I'm not slamming the WSM at all... I thought I wanted one until I saw the price... I'm just trying to figure out how that price is justified.

Thank You.

I have the 18.5 WSM and I didn't think it was very expensive compared to smokers of equal quality and reputation. From what I've read, a lot of guys spend thousands on a smoker that produces food that is no better and no easier to smoke than what you can produce on the WSM, and in a lot of cases they do not have the capacity of the WSM either. There are cheaper smokers out there, don't get me wrong, but I think at the price point of the WSM it is the best smoker available, and as I mentioned it compares to smokers that cost much more money.

Originally posted by Chuck Yeager:
Hello all. First post here. LIttle background on me. I've been making Q for about 8 years, maybe 10. I have outgrown my Cookshack 008 - or at least I need to supplement it on occasion.

I was looking at a 22" WSM and had a heckuva sticker shock! I paid the same price for my CS as a 22" WSM.... and the CS has electronics and has the look and feel of a commercial cooker.

I'm not slamming the WSM at all... I thought I wanted one until I saw the price... I'm just trying to figure out how that price is justified.

Thank You.

I had the CS as well, but after an hour and a 1/2 of trying to sear a steak in it I gave it up bought my WSM. Versatility is worth something.

I have to agree with those that don't think the price is excessive. I first fell in love with smoking meats at a friends house, and he had a traeger. I knew right then and there, I had to have one. Over the next several days, I spent A LOT of time reading reviews and reaserching the Traeger brand. I was really set back by the price (700.00$ minimum) but thought thats what it would cost to get a quality product. Then a trend started to develop in the reviews. It seems that the Traeger smokers used to be made in Washington state, but a few years ago, they began production in China. The quality had decreased greatly, but the price remained the same. So I tried to find other smokers, all seemed to hover in the same price range...$650 and up. Then, by a stroke of pure luck, I happened across the WSM. Not one negative review, tons of support(via this web site)the great Webber tradition, and my 18.5 was bougt for well under half the cost of the Traeger (or other electric smokers)! I haven't regretted it one bit, this thing is built like a tank, if I do my part and keep her clean and out of the weather, I see no reason why I won't be enjoying it 10, 15, heck, even 20 years from now. Priced too high, in my opinion, I really don't think so.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i have no doubt that with some care, a wsm could be in service for 20 yrs. I have a 10yr old OTG that is out in the elements 24/365 uncovered and is still in good condition. I think some people equate using charcoal to a cheap chinese made $50 grill...

I missed seeing this thread until now. I really wanted a smoker last year. Looked at the "traditional" offset smokers, the Traegers, the Big Green Egg, the you name it. All very expensive. Started reading about the Weber Smoky Mountain (WSM). I thought "water smoker! what is that all about?!" But like a previous poster wrote, the more I read, the more I realized what a quality product the WSM is. Got a 22.5 WSM, and can't be happier. No buyer's remorse whatsoever. Just do it!

When I first got into BBQ in 2005, I discovered Traeger's and within 6 months bought the Texas 075 for a little over $1000.00. Thought I wanted to compete and hey pellets are easy. But - they don't give you the flavor of real BBQ in MHO. after 4 years I sold my Traeger and 800lbs of pellets for $800. With that I bought a 2009 Performer that was on sale for about $249 and a spanking new WSM 22 for $399 plus tax. The difference in the product I'm turning out is amazing. Yes you can buy a "smoker" for a few hundred bucks. But the WSM lives up to its reputation. That being a winner. People are winning bbq championships using only WSM's. This little machine turns out killer Q. And that's worth the extra $$$. Again,
IMHO. I wouldn't trade my WSM for a new Fast Eddy 100. And that's a $3700 cooker. Pricey? Man this baby is a value.

Amen I would not trade my Weber 22 1/2 inch WSM for anything , as amatter of fact I will be buying a second WSM and a Performer, that should be well enough to handle most comps!!

I had a Charbroiler at first. The bottom rusted out of it the second year so then I bought an 18.5 WSM and love it. The porcelain coating is so durable and nothing that is just painted can touch it. Charcoal lasts 8X longer in the WSM too compared to the Charbroiler. Great smokers!

Uhm, the cheapest Smokette I see on Cookshack's web site is about $600, about $200 more than a WSM.

I agree a WSM seems pricey for what it is, but I started with a cheap CharBroil, and I've seen people with less expensive offset smokers, and the WSM is a better smoker.

The CharBroil H2O will give you nothing but frustration because the design doesn't handle air flow well and ash smothering is common. Brinkman water smokers are similar in design and suffer the same problems.

Inexpensive sidewinders need certain mods to work effectively and they still won't perform as well as a WSM. Plus they don't last as long. They'll start rusting within about 2 years. A WSM will last practically forever, just needingto replace grates once every few years (or not, I have 8 or 9 years on my original grates, which I SHOULD replace but they still work.)

I have a Smokn Tex, almost identical to a Cookshack, and I have to say, I have always been disappointed in the taste of barbeque from the electric. I had such high expectations, but the food is definitely missing something in the flavor that the charcoal smoker adds. Hence, I rarely use the Tex. I can't say everyone would feel that way and I know there are a lot of very happy Cookshack and Tex owners, but for me, the WSM tastes better.

I've used to have a Charbroil gas grill. Cooked some very tasty food. But was so cheaply made started falling apart within 2 months. As for smokers. The WSM is amazing. Expensive for what it is? Yes! Expensive for what it does? It's a bargain!!!

to answer the question ....

because it is worth it. i have only used my WSM 22 for "usual" bbq. however for the first time this weekend i used it more as an oven. i cooked two meatloafs using info from this site. even though it was the first time they came out perfect. my smoker easily held 325 just like it will hold 225 when i am using it as a smoker. it is just an awesome product....well worth what i paid for it

joe

I totally agree. Did my first brisket this weekend. WSM held at 250 all day long...

Incredible machine - yet such a simple design...

Back