Why get a Rib-O-Later?

dean

TVWBB Pro
I looked at them online cause I thought it was kind of neat. The price seemed high but it looks high quality to me. I can get about the same amount of food on two racks so why get the rib-o-later? What are the good and bad (if any) points of using it? I really want to take my bbq to the next level and was just wondering if I could hear from some of you all that use it!

it IS high quality... I love it. the only complaint I have is clean-up.
I soak the trays in hot soapy water in a rectangle plastic storage container for an hour or two before scrubbing the tray clean.

I have almost pulled the trigger on one of these a couple of times over the last few months. For those of you who own them, other than the fact that it looks pretty cool, is there a real advantage? I need a good answer to push me over the edge on getting one.

Terry,

I have been on the fence for awhile on this, but pull the trigger last week. I should get it today. There is a code (RIBS) for $15 off at the site and it still work so it came out to be below $90 shipped.

Ops. Sorry, I just check my invoice and it is $98.90 shipped.

Vincent.

chicken works well on the ROL.
no turning is required, no burnt pieces...
dean, terry, have you guys watched alllll the videoes on the web site?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vincent On:
There is a code (RIBS) for $15 off at the site and it still work so it came out to be below $90 shipped.
Vincent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for heads up on the Promo Code Vincent. I just ordered mine. (w/discount $98.90 shipped). It should be here by the first of the week. I also ordered this (by way of the TVWB link) from Amazon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Setzer:
No one has answered Deans question of why to get one and what are the pros and cons. Kinda interest myself.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben,

I just got mine, haven't open it but will tomorrow to test it out.

The main reason I got it is because I can cook ribs on it without my 'to be' 22 wsm. It has the capacity for multiple ribs without cutting it into pieces.

Also it seem to cook some mean chicken and ribs.

Vincent.

i would say "why not?". its just a differant or another way of cooking just like anything else. from what i've read, its purty much liked by everyone. i'd get one if i had the extra $$$$ laying around.

i have one and like it a lot.

like jim said, it's REALLY awesome for chicken pieces. The entire system will hold a lot of chicken. I've cooked FOUR chickens at once with the ribolator. I literally walked away for an hour and didn't worry about it.

I've never actually used it for ribs.

The bad:
it's a royal PITA to clean.
it's a royal PITA to store. the trays don't stack.
the edges are sharp (at least on mine) i've cut myself a few times trying to clean it.
if the food on your trays isn't balanced, they'll tip. Sometimes the food will slide to the edge of the tray during the middle of a cook and cause the whole tray to tip and dump its food.

I'm thinking of cooking ribs this weekend, now that i have a rotisserie ring that fits my cajun bandit i might try using the ribolator for it.

I wish I knew the size dimension of the big one because i have the one for the webers and you couldnt put a rack of ribs on it if you tried.like others have said it works well for chicken and burgers.and even country style ribs bbut when it comes to whole rack ribs .no way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it's a royal PITA to store. the trays don't stack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Troy, you did not keep the box it came in? Stores perfectly inside the same flat box and out of the way atop the refrigerator.

Kicked around getting one but just going to go buy another rib rack for the 22 1/2" WSM.
With 2 WSM's and 2 Weber grills, capacity for me is not an issue. If I need more room, I just light another chimney and fire up another grill or smoker.
Reading through these posts, and others I've read about Ribolators, cost just does not justify any benefit. Besides, that cost is a whole lot of charcoal, wood, chunks, and / or meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it's a royal PITA to store. the trays don't stack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Troy, you did not keep the box it came in? Stores perfectly inside the same flat box and out of the way atop the refrigerator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to check! I hope i did. thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
Kicked around getting one but just going to go buy another rib rack for the 22 1/2" WSM.
With 2 WSM's and 2 Weber grills, capacity for me is not an issue. If I need more room, I just light another chimney and fire up another grill or smoker.
Reading through these posts, and others I've read about Ribolators, cost just does not justify any benefit. Besides, that cost is a whole lot of charcoal, wood, chunks, and / or meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for me its not really about capacity, sorry if i mislead.
the big win for me is how EVENLY everthing cooks without having to flip things and move things around.

I cooked steaks for 12 using two 22" webers. I put all the steaks on the ribolator and cooked them until there were 'done-ish' - then took them off and seared them on another grill that was rocket hot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the big win for me is how EVENLY everthing cooks without having to flip things and move things around </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But that's most of the fun!
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't use it a lot. But when I do it's awesome. I bought the non-stick mesh mats from them when I bought the set up. I cut them to fit the shelves and that works fine. I just take the trays and mats and dump them in soapy hot water to soak overnight when I'm done. Cleans up easy.

I have a laundry sink in the basement and that's where they get tossed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If it flips and dumps my ribs, i'm throwing it away </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it won't. looks pretty even from here.
do you not have a problem getting the spit rod in the motor hole on your extension with the ROL racks in place?
I "U" cut mine out like the other side for placing and removing the spit rod.
DSCN7411.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> non-stick mesh mats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ray, WHAT non stick mats???

Back