Why get a Rib-O-Later?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If it flips and dumps my ribs, i'm throwing it away </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it won't. looks pretty even from here.
do you not have a problem getting the spit rod in the motor hole on your extension with the ROL racks in place?
I "U" cut mine out like the other side for placing and removing the spit rod.
DSCN7411.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> non-stick mesh mats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ray, WHAT non stick mats??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

putting the ROL in IS a PITA.

I've been putting the ROL into the ring first, then loading it up, and THEN putting the whole thing on the smoker.

it's still kind of a pain because the ROL sits lower than the bottom of the rotisserie ring.

not going to happen, unless i drive my ring to your house and you can do the cut for me.

i'll bring meat?

i'm completely retarded when it comes to things like that
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If it flips and dumps my ribs, i'm throwing it away </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
it won't. looks pretty even from here.
do you not have a problem getting the spit rod in the motor hole on your extension with the ROL racks in place?
I "U" cut mine out like the other side for placing and removing the spit rod.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> non-stick mesh mats </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ray, WHAT non stick mats??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The non-stick matting material I referred to are called Frogmats. I was a somewhat early adopter of the RO. Back then pretty sure RO folks were also selling the mats and got them in the same order. Could be wrong, but I know I bought them at the same time.

They are sold through dealers. But basically a heavy high temp teflon coated fibre screen that you cut to fit the trays. You can also use them for any non direct flame purpose. Good for tossing on indirect cooks for things like shrimp/veggies etc that could fall through holes in the grate. You can also use them for rolling around meatloaf instead of a tray or sausage instead of using casings.

video

Just do a search on frogmat to find a dealer/review/description.

Frogmat

My extension ring is from the rotisserie kit I've had for a few years from EZ-Que and already had u-cutouts. I pre-assemble the RO in the kettle first, test for proper alignment and rotation, then load it.

After a few uses I did end up with a problem where the collars would loosen, the racks went out of alignment and dumped some wings.

The problem was that the collars sold with the RO originally were designed with light duty thumb screws and the threads would strip. I drilled the collars, tapped new threads to a larger size and replaced the thumbscrews with larger cap screws that I can put a wrench on. Problem solved.

RO has fixed this though with the current shipping product (pretty sure) so you don't need to worry about that. As long as you can tighten the collars so they don't slide during a cook you should be trouble free.

yesterday, i didn't tighten the collars enough
icon_frown.gif

my ribs didn't dump, but everything got tilted to one side and no longer rotated.

it was the 'in foil' stage of my rib cook too, so all 4 racks of ribs weren't 'fall off the bone'
icon_frown.gif

user error though

I drilled and tapped my lock screws/collars out to 1/4 inch and added cap screws that I could put wrench on. I think the original thumb screws on mine were 1/8 inch. The only way to get them tight was to put pliers to them and the threads pulled pretty easy.

I had a persistant problem with tray going tilt ad collars slipping. Until I made the mod.

But I posted this awhile back and RO contact posted that this has all been changed now.

So you should be able to tighten yours up as is.

I'm gonna toot my horn here, because if it were not for me, urging Bob Garnasch to cut down a set of Rib-O-Lator trays to fit my Weber and EZ-Que rings to fit my kettle, we would not be having this conversation!

The Rib-O-Lator would still be only available for Gas grills.

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

So to answer Deans question-

When I first saw them at a backyard comp in Seattle, I thumbed my nose at them, Bob was using them on gas grills. But I was strangely drawn to them. Long story short-Rib-O-Lator Bob won 1st Place Ribs (to my 2nd) and Grand Champion overall for the day.
IMG_0738.jpg

Hey! They are probably not for everyone! But I happen to enjoy using different toys to play with my fire and meat! And for me the Rib-O-Lator does not disappoint. I've used it in Competition and extensively on my Drum Smokers, Cajun Bandit kettle conversion and the Performer.

So, for those sitting on the fence, I don't blame you, I thought it was a gimmick too, and those worried about cleanup-get over it! It's a freakin' tool! Spray them with Pam, and remove them when you are done cooking and don't let the crud burn on the trays!
And if you are worried about the trays tipping and losing your meats to the fire gods-Yes, it will happen if you don't set them up on a flat level surface and evenly balance the meats (and check during the cook) I know because it has happened to me.
The price is not out of line for what you get, I paid much more for the EZ-Que and it is not as versatile.

I am pretty proud of this pic-
1st Place "Anything on a Skewer" 2010 Skewered Apple BBQ Championship, Yakima, WA 72 Teams

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

2nd Place Brisket too!

There You Have It.... if THAT doesn't Sell You on the Rib-O-Lator... maybe cookin' indoors is your true calling.

Toot-Away Brian!

Go ahead and "Toot" that Horn Brian.
Mine will be here tomorrow. Last week Bob sent me an email with the tracking number and asking me how I heard of the R-O-B.
You got full credit along with TVWB.
I thought your first set had the corners clipped? But I see in the pics above, they were sectioned in the center. Congrats on your wins and thanks for putting the pressure on Bob.

Please post some pictures of your set up when it's all dialed in Mac. Troy, if you ever decide to part with them I would like to give them a shot. I have the CB set up to put them on. Just email me.

Dean, Get a Piggy Bank and start saving those Quarters.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Please post some pictures of your set up when it's all dialed in Mac. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will Shaun, I did a Mod to one of my Weber Rotisserie rings yesterday so it will fit my 22.5 WSM

Does anyone have any pictures they could share of the rib o lator loaded up with some spare ribs?

The pics look awesome. Keep them action shots coming!

...... maybe cookin' indoors is your true calling.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great line !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David P.:
Does anyone have any pictures they could share of the rib o lator loaded up with some spare ribs?
The pics look awesome. Keep them action shots coming! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Try
Here

Those pics show a lot of versatility with all the different foods you can load up.

It looks like it works with babybacks, but it doesn't fit spares.

Has anyone been able to fit fill slabs of spares on there?

Mac said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will Shaun, I did a Mod to one of my Weber Rotisserie rings yesterday so it will fit my 22.5 WSM

Mac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, what is the mod you speak of? I just got a Weber roti and a 22 WSM, so I might have to go to the Rib O Lator route next.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Mac said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will Shaun, I did a Mod to one of my Weber Rotisserie rings yesterday so it will fit my 22.5 WSM
Mac </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So, what is the mod you speak of? I just got a Weber roti and a 22 WSM, so I might have to go to the Rib O Lator route next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nothing special AJ, I just flipped the ring and drilled new holes for the motor mount and cut slots for the rod. This makes for a better seal and the WSM lid fits tight.
I'll post some pics soon.
BTW My R-O-L came this afternoon and it took less than 5 Minutes to give a dry test run.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back