Why doesn't brisket internal temp matter?

Now boys!! Having read and used many tips from both of you it seems you both have come to your own way of doing things. I like to hear multiple ways of bbqing so I can use what sounds germane to my situation. Hopefully you will both continue to help the rest of us that don't have as much experience as you both do.

Since Jiffy Pop is in a foil pan and has a foil top, is the corn being braised?

All I have on this computer for me is this site and about 3 others. I dont say much here because I feel stupid at times for my beliefs, but I know my knowledge of food is limited. But i have learned a lot from this site, and from many people here including Kevin & Larry. Larry makes the best overall rub i ever have had. Kevin has answered every question I ever asked. I thank you both and i also want to thank my wife for fixing all of the margaritas tonight.
Peace!

I thank you both and i also want to thank my wife for fixing all of the margaritas tonight.Peace!
And I want to thank your wife for fixing you margaritas, too. Perhaps when I swing through she'll be kind enough to fling one my way...

Larry, what you call me 'contradicting' you isn't. It is me adding to the discussion. That we do do things the same way only reinforces the truth that here are many ways to get the results one seeks. You foil tihtly, e.g., as does Shawn, others here use foil pans--and have stated so in other threads. So...?

I'm off to have some ph?.

Kevin, When you come over i want you to cook but i want you to try my comp chicken. It isnt anything like you would expect, that is a promise. No sauce and it is goooood.
And Larry, I guarantee in the next 2 or 3 years my team is going to make the trek to a comp near you and Finney. It is on our to do list!
Its going to be a long winter folks.....

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Ohhh SNAP!
icon_biggrin.gif

winnie_the_pooh_20.gif

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
SNIP

I'm pretty sure this is a tongue-in-cheek question.
icon_wink.gif

But, the answer is no. Jiffy Pop isn't being braised. Since we are primarily talking about brisket here, a quote from Wikipedia is appropriate: "Braising relies on heat, time, and moisture to successfully break down tough connective tissue and collagens in meat; making it an ideal way to cook tougher cuts."

While, vegetables can be and are sometimes braised, I don't believe that Jiffy Pop strictly fits the intent and purpose of braising. The popcorn isn't browned and, then, allowed to simmer until fork tender...

###

Oh come on Kevin! There goes your ego again! Larry has hated me for years and it is quite obvious he is directing this vitriol at ME!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Good God, I'm busy at work for 5 days, and look what I find when I finally get a chance to jump back in. Whew!!

I could care less if you guys argue, if it makes you describe your methods more clearly. I have learned $hitloads of stuff from you guys who've been around longer and know what you're doing. And while I do like to understand some of the science and physics behind the process, I also think that there are several dozens of examples of people who can, and have been turning out world class brisket, not because they can describe what's happening on a molecular level, but instead have learned thru many years of trial and error.

Y'all gotta remember, half the fun of BBQ'ing is the lying to each other.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Good God, I'm busy at work for 5 days, and look what I find when I finally get a chance to jump back in. Whew!!

I could care less if you guys argue, if it makes you describe your methods more clearly. I have learned $hitloads of stuff from you guys who've been around longer and know what you're doing. And while I do like to understand some of the science and physics behind the process, I also think that there are several dozens of examples of people who can, and have been turning out world class brisket, not because they can describe what's happening on a molecular level, but instead have learned thru many years of trial and error.

Y'all gotta remember, half the fun of BBQ'ing is the lying to each other.
icon_smile.gif

I gotta go with Tom! I am given so much to think about by Kevin and Larry and Dale and others, as well as teh questions from newbees like myself. So friendly arguing is indeed great by me.

I sure wish I could taste some of each of your's food since, at least based on family, friends, people in the office and a couple of "Caterings" (believe me - that's a stretch,) I turn out pretty decent Q (beings as this is Seattle, maybe there is jsut no place to go for better). And my cooks are still different from what I read from people I consider the Masters. Its whatever flats are on sale at the local grocery store, rub from a place in Texas called Ironworks BBQ. WSM (no water in pan, just foiled to collect drippings for BBQ sauce base), Minion start, plain ol' Kingsford, mix of fruit woods and hickory (for brisket). 225* with BBQGuru. Start fat up and leave, never foil. Goes till it hits around 190-195 and holds for about 30 minutes (Ramp mode on Guru). Off it comes goes into a double layer of foil. wrapped in towel and into microwave (if I'm staying home) or a cooler (if I'm off to work or party). Sliced competition style when it gets unwrapped 30-120 minutes later. No matter how much I bring its never enough.

I'm doing so many things different (not wrong, or better or worse, just different) than I read many of you doing.... Sure would like to taste some of yours!

Chris - How about a big get together at your place, where we can exchange our best cookin'?

Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Does anyone remember the guy who started to promote this METHOD of cooking a brisket??? His name was JIM something And he had some crazy idea of how to get charcoal briquetts to burn longer.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m...820001303#5820001303
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al,
Jim's methods are both flawed......you can't cook with Kingsford that's not ashed over, it will leave an off taste to your food and is harmful if you eat food that is cooked with partially lit briquettes.

And you don't cook a brisket fat side down cause it can't bast itself! These are BBQ basics that everyone should know!
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Joking. It's dripping with sarcasm.

No no, I didn't intend to come off as sarcastic.....I was trying to lighten the mood and thought I could do so with a little humor....

Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
I wish he was "dripping" with gasoline!!!!!
Dave why don't you tell everyone about your Daschund and why you are envious of him.....
icon_biggrin.gif

Back