Why does everybody seem to have 3 or 4 or 5 different grills and smokers?

Mike M

TVWBB Member
I've been reading through some posts and a lot of signature lines list several grills and smokers. Please elaborate as to why?

I forgot to mention that I have a 1998 18.5 OTS, a 2011 22.5 OTG, 2005 chargriller smokin pro w/ sfb and I just purchased a 22.5 WSM that I can't wait to smoke on. My wife thinks I'm nuts

Its like any hobby, you keep building a collection, and Webers are a lot cheaper than cars or boats or motorcycles.

Also, if BBQ'ing is also a hobby, as it is to many of us here on the board, collecting grills and smokers is just one aspect of the hobby, whether we need them or not. This applies to many other hobbies as well...

As Tony said, they each have there own job. Example, I would not cook a ribeye on a WSM. My Performer does the best job of that. Some things can be done on both so you just have to make a choice. An example would be last years thanksgiving turkey. I did it on my Performer and it was fabulous. Of course, at that time I did not have my WSM. This year I will make the turkey on the WSM but I think it would be just as good on either one. The issue of a hobby can come into play of course. Check out the threads of all the people who get old beat up Weber's and rehab them. There are many different reasons and all that maters is what floats your boat. Just have fun with it. That is also why we are all on this board every day. It is FUN. I may never meet any of the great people in person but you still get to know each other. And again, that is fun.

My Performer does most of the cooking. When I need a little more capacity or wish to spin something, the OTG is there but very seldom used. I have the WSM for smoking and the SJS for camping. Hell, that's not too many at all. My ideal would be a 26" Performer.

Not a collector here, just listing the current 'tools', which so happen to be Weber exclusively . Those not listed no longer exist, starting with a Meco upright bullet charcoal water smoker back in '78. Wish I would have bought a Weber back then...

I have several, including three 26.75" kettles, a 22.5, and a Jumbo Joe (my stovetop during comps). My 26.75s have a Smoke-EZ smoker conversion kit and the 22.5 has a Cajun Bandit. I use no less than two of them in competition, as well as the 22.5. They're my equivalent of Smokey Mountains, and I like to use different woods, cook at different temps, etc. This allows me to do that. I also cater as well as cook quite often for crowds at home, and I need all the volume I can muster sometimes to fit everything I'm cooking. Plus, as others have mentioned, they're toys and indeed the one with the most toys wins...lol.

Not sure if that helped to answer the question..

All great responses, and similar to what I've tried to explain to my wife. I can't smoke a whole turkey in the 18.5 kettle. And at least we can eat the results after a day of smoking and grilling, right? Can't say the same about a project car. Plus it's much cheaper.

All great responses, and similar to what I've tried to explain to my wife. I can't smoke a whole turkey in the 18.5 kettle. And at least we can eat the results after a day of smoking and grilling, right? Can't say the same about a project car. Plus it's much cheaper.

Tell your wife you could be out at the bar, or putting money up your nose, maybe that will help, maybe not, worth a try.:cool:

I can't smoke a whole turkey in the 18.5 kettle. And at least we can eat the results after a day of smoking and grilling, right? Can't say the same about a project car. Plus it's much cheaper.

You have excluded yourself from one of many great BBQ delights by not being able to smoke a whole turkey. You had better get a bigger kettle and while you're at it a WSM too. :)

If Jay Leno wasn't rich, instead of cars, he would be collecting weber stuff and typing "smoker" or "weber" on Craigs List.

As my wife would say... it's a "guy thing" and more is definitely better. Think of them like tools. Each product has its own unique function and purpose. It' like having a cooktop, oven, microwave and toaster oven in your kitchen.

Smokey Joe: For those times I want a nice grilled steak and ear of corn just for me cooked the old fashioned way with charcoal and wood. I also take it camping and on beach trips.

Weber Genesis gas grill: It's easy, quick and convenient. It's versatile due to three separately controlled burners and a side burber for beans, sauce or whatever. I can cook up a meal for 6-8 people. It's not traditional charcoal grilling, but it's the next best thing.

WSM: One word....... RIBS. 'nuf said!

Received this text message this morning from my wife...
"Ok if I grill hamburgers with ur lump charcoal tonight for dinner?"

:cool:

Bob, given enough time the wives will come around to the wisdom of outdoor cooking. Sounds like yours has. My wife will only if I get it all set up and hot. Sounds like yours has progressed farther. You are a lucky man.
Bob

Bob, given enough time the wives will come around to the wisdom of outdoor cooking. Sounds like yours has. My wife will only if I get it all set up and hot. Sounds like yours has progressed farther. You are a lucky man.
Bob

My wife knows how to use the Performer. It's awesome to come home to a charcoal grilled meal!

I still won't show her how to start the tractor. Definitely too much potential for damage there. :D

Back