Who's smokin' with "old man winter"?

They may take a little longer to heat up, but once at temp the super cold weather wont affect em. May just burn more fuel to sustain temps though.

This might be the best time of year to fire up the WSM. - Rage against the fall of night -

Thus far I have for the first time tried
Buckboard Bacon

And high temp brisket

Both came out well despite the weather
Many thanks to all who responded to questions raised (by me and others). It is an incredible learning experience to read this site..

Happy new year to all.
Don

Originally posted by Don Irish:
This might be the best time of year to fire up the WSM?.?Rage against the fall of night?

Thus far I?ve tried
Buckboard Bacon

Don,
I'm going to try canadian bacon soon. I've read posts, and thought maybe you've done canadian too. Since you just did buckboard, thought you might have some interesting tips for me.
Dave

We've seen 80s here in Tampa for the last week, but as I type, we are dropping to upper 30s for a low in the morning, upper 20s for Thursday morning. Last time we froze was in January of 2005. Old Man Winter is a rare visitor here. That said, I'm doing my second WSM cook, 2 beer can chickens. The wine is good, football is good. Hopefully the chickens follow suit.

Originally posted by Lenny Gurvich:
We've seen 80s here in Tampa for the last week, but as I type, we are dropping to upper 30s for a low in the morning, upper 20s for Thursday morning. Last time we froze was in January of 2005. Old Man Winter is a rare visitor here. That said, I'm doing my second WSM cook, 2 beer can chickens. The wine is good, football is good. Hopefully the chickens follow suit.
Winters in cent. Fla are the best! Lived in Orlando for20 years. Saw snow twice while there; nothing accumulated but snow non the less. Even saw the Aurora borealis a couple times down there. Missed the 1st big freeze but was there for the 2nd back in the 80's. The summers are long but the winters are the best!
icon_smile.gif
Lenny, you have a brother named Joe over in Orlando?

Bill

Originally posted by Lenny Gurvich:
DO you know a Joe Gurvich there? Not a very common surname.
Yeah, I lived next door to him while he was going to UCF ~ He taught me to water ski. Surname is why I asked. Welcome to the board.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bill

Dave/G
For temp control this just might be the best time of year up north to fire up the WSM…..I have had problems keeping temps low on hot summer days, but when it is 20 or so outside…..

And a plus is that the neighbors think you are crazy until you give them a taste…

I’ve never done a Canadian bacon so I can’t be any help except to say that for the buckboard I read a bunch of posts and gave it a try and it came out great. The folks here know what they are talking about.

As for you all in Florida....envy does not describe my feelings...I had to shovel 6+ inches this A.M.
I miss my days in San Antonio...

Ok, I'm going to get my pork loin tomorrow and give it a go. Cure, wash, dry and smoke. Doesn't sound impossible. Will be cold here for a couple of days, but after Friday it is supposed to be in the 40's for at least a week. Happy shoveling. I just finished some.
To my son in Tampa, I say one thing. hahahahahaha

Dave

Back