Who's smokin' with "old man winter"?

Brandon N.

TVWBB Fan
Currently, temp with the wind chill is -9. Winds are at 26 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.
icon_eek.gif

I got a 6.5 lb flat from Sam's last night hoping to try the high temp brisket with Kevin's wet paste/ dry rub recipe. This morning I went to the store to get ingredients and decided to postpone the attempt until conditions improve. I am also contemplating on doing it low/slow just because I don't know if temps in the WSM can be reached in these conditions? Can I still use the paste when cooking at 250? This is my second attempt with brisket. The first was done low/slow and end results were good.

Is anyone braving the elements today? If so, what are you smoking?

Hey Brandon. To do the high-temp cook you will probably need to open all three vents wide open as well as prop open the door, but with these high winds today your temps might be all over the place! You will definitley need some kind of wind block that is very secure to the ground! Good luck!!!!!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Originally posted by Brandon N.:
Currently, temp with the wind chill is -9. Winds are at 26 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.
icon_eek.gif

I got a 6.5 lb flat from Sam's last night hoping to try the high temp brisket with Kevin's wet paste/ dry rub recipe. This morning I went to the store to get ingredients and decided to postpone the attempt until conditions improve. I am also contemplating on doing it low/slow just because I don't know if temps in the WSM can be reached in these conditions? Can I still use the paste when cooking at 250? This is my second attempt with brisket. The first was done low/slow and end results were good.

I've tried low and slow with flats, and I find it next to impossible to get it right. The brisket is either overcooked and comes out like leather, or its fairly moist but tough, undercooked. Is foiling a flat the key? Can you briefly describe your low & slow procedure? I've done one high heat which was my best, but it just bugs me that I can't get a quality low & slow flat

It was pretty cold here last night, low of 33 I think. I've had a couple of butts on since 6:00 p.m. last night. She's held 220 - 230 since around 7:30 p.m.

yeah low and slow with flats...doesnt yield a good moist product....in my experience either. A whole packer yes. For the flat 275 seems to be good, and foiling is key..also to hold in a cooler for a couple hours definetly helps. The cut is just very lean. If it has a nice fat cap..I leave the whole thing on...just for extra insurance.

Hey dave...i totally know what ya mean. You almost feel like your 'cheating" if your not at "true" BBQ temps...like 225-235. When I started out..I was stuck on these temps. I now prefer 265 on average. Dont be "scared" to go to higher temps.....esp w/ flats. The end product is what counts.

Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Hey dave...i totally know what ya mean. You almost feel like your 'cheating" if your not at "true" BBQ temps...like 225-235. When I started out..I was stuck on these temps. I now prefer 265 on average. Dont be "scared" to go to higher temps.....esp w/ flats. The end product is what counts.

Yes, I know what you mean about cheating. I think from now on I'll strictly go high heat, foil and rest like you say

I have a nice looking rack of beef ribs on the kettle. I just wrapped for 45 mins or so...Now I opened up the foil..will let it sit for another 35-45 minutes..then wrap...throw in the cooler for an hour. Drink beer...watch ball...eat beef ribs...life is not too bad. W/all the rib roasts that are being trimmed for the holidays...I have seen some great meaty beef ribs at the grocers. I may have to load up and get the vacuum sealer out.

Originally posted by Brandon N.:
icon_eek.gif

-----snip-----

I did a pork butt under similar conditions, or maybe even a little worse! We had gusts close to 60 mph. My WSM is under a lean-to, and I had a tarp set up that blocked a lot of the wind. Even so, I used up 2 FULL rings of lump.

The butt didn't know any different though, it came out great as usual.
icon_wink.gif

JimT

I'll be smoking a 10 lb prime rib tomorrow late morning/early afternoon unless it's too windy. I should be OK if it is like it was today, about 30 degrees and sunny.

Putting on two backers in an hour and double smoked ham late tomorrow morning.
Have a great time.
Jim

Getting ready to fire up the Spicewine, cooking a ham and trying Jim Minions rib roast recipe. The weather is nice here, high around mid 50s, with lots of sunshine. I did get my red thermapen, and my coffee is at 140, OJ is getting warm at 48 degrees. Room temp is a blistering 77. I found all of that out in 12 seconds.
icon_razz.gif

I have a bone in standing rib roast sitting on the kitchen counter warming this Xmas morning. Will be dining on it this evening. The weather report is sunny to partly cloudy. High near 40F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
... I did get my red thermapen, and my coffee is at 140, OJ is getting warm at 48 degrees. Room temp is a blistering 77. I found all of that out in 12 seconds.
icon_razz.gif
LOL! They're great, aren't they?
icon_cool.gif

Smoked pre-cooked ham. Went on at 10 am EST.

EDIT: After 1st glaze and done pic. No sliced ~ Sorry
icon_frown.gif
Maybe for sammiches tomorrow... Wasn't the best looking ham by any stretch of the imagination but it tasted purdy good!
icon_smile.gif

Merry Christmas everyone.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I hate to say it but the WSM is staring my snow blower in the face right now in the shed. I am not a winter person so I am waiting for Spring to arrive here in NH. Already have used my snow blower 2 more times than last year.........*sighs*

On Christmas day "old man winter" must of been visiting relatives up north as our temp was about 45F and it was great sitting and watching the brisket flat cook at about 325F

After it reached 165F it went into a pan with some beef broth, covered with foil in the WSM. Then I started judging tenderness with a probe - but I saw that the meat was "jiglely" so I pulled it out of the cooker, wrapped it with towels and put it in a cooler to rest.

Sure do like high heat briskets UNLESS I want to impress folks "He cooked it ALL NIGHT!!"

I did 6 racks of back ribs for Xmas dinner 2007 - on boxing day. It was about -5C and lightly snowing + a moderate but not severe wind.

The cook went very well and we had a great non-traditional Xmas meal.

Hey Brandon -

I have two 8lb. butts on since about 11 AM. Do you really call this OMW? Heck it got to 46 deg hear abouts.

Taking advantage. Was going to play with injecting again after shying away a few years ago due to a turkey that just didn't come out right in my view.

Decided to play it safe. Used some rub I had on hand that was left over from a previous pork cook. WSM with the GURU has been running steady at 250 deg. since 11. Thinking I will be pulling them around 7 or 8 PM or 200 deg. whichever comes first.

Thinking about foiling at 170, they are about 160 now. What do you guys think?

Have 16 coming over tomorrow for the game.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

If you have the time..just ride it out to your desired temp. If you want to shave an hour or two before you pull...go and wrap. The end product, there wont be a difference. Id just go ahead and wrap. As far as injecting...I use to..but when I dont...I dont see any difference. Sometimes Ill still just do apple juice...I guess cause I like making a mess. But Turkey and butts are too different things. Pork is much more forgiving.

Back