Who's smokin' with "old man winter"?

Thanks Gary - think I'll just ride the temps and pull around 200. They are almost 170 now. Don't need the extra time to pull tonight. Thinking I'll remove them around 200 or so, then throw in a cooler with towels and let them both sit overnight and pull early tomorrow am. Looks like they may come off around 8 or 9 pm or there abouts.

Interestingly after running at a constant 250 since 11 am the WSM seems to want to spike at 275 for awhile. All vents closed (except the top).

Not going to mess with it. Flipped them at each 3 hr. mark and sprayed every our after the 2 hr. mark.

Ray

yeah I wouldnt mess with it youll be chasing your tail. Yeah If your gonna hold all night...Id go to 200...to just keep it on the smoker longer and not in the cooler. If you put in cooler at 190 theyd be in cooler too long. Just make sure temps in meat dont fall below 140. I have not let them sit in a cooler longer than 4 hours but should b ok. When r u serving the meat?

Won't be serving until tomorrow around 4 or 5. Didn't want to run the cook overnight. I'll put them in the cooler and wait till they hit 140 to pull the meat. If they end up in the cooler at 8:30 or 9 PM, I would think they will hold and not drop to 140 for quite awhile.

Temps are back to holding at 250.

Ray

If serving is not till 4 or 5 it will def have to go in the refrigerator early am. Id just shred...pour all juices and pork in a alum pan, then cover tightly put in refrig. An hour b4 chow time put in oven

Yep - that was pretty much the plan. Butts are at 185. Should only be another hour or so. Thanks for the tips. I've always shredded and had the dinner right away. This is the first time with the delay. Interestingly, I have seen on other posts that you should not refrigerate until the temps drop to 70 deg. to prevent blooming. Definitely want to shred before refrigerating - don't want chopped pork :)

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

yes, want to shred. My buddy shreds...then puts in ziploc bags(the 2 gallon ones) Gets a cooler filled w/ ice and water then submerges bag into water. This gets it out of the danger zone fast. Then throw in the fridge and reheat accordingly

Gary - Butts came off about 10:30 11pm at 200 deg. About 12 hours at 250. Toweled and probed into a toweled cooler over night. I had the low temp alarm set at 140 to wake me up if they dropped below that. 7:30 am they were just dropping below 140.

Shredded nicely. So, so tender. Nice bark. Lots of red ring. Meat was laid out on a large tray, so had plenty of time to cool down. Didn't see a need for the ice water treatment. Then bagged and in the fridge. Sprayed lightly with some apple cider.

Going to place in a large covered foil pan, perhaps spray lightly with some cider again to reheat to about 150 later today.

Thanks for the tips and conversation last night.

Branden - that's it for my "Old Man Winter Cook". Even though it's going to be 55 deg today here in Eastern PA - sheesh. We'll have to do this again when I have some genuine winter temps.

BBQ Guru kept temps uniform throughout the 12 hrs. Meant I could stay productive throughout the dat. Also had the Maverick 73 connected so I could take the the receiver around with me while doing other things.

There were a couple of short lived spikes of less than 20 or 30 min. where temps briefly hit 280 to 290. This was after rearranging the coals and then again after adding just a little more fuel during the last 2 hours of the cook.

Fire was all lump. Basically set the lighter in the center of the ring, laid in lump in a donut around it to the top of the ring. Pulled the lighter out, filled and lit it, dumping into the center hole. 6 Nice fist sized (actually some were a little smaller) chunks of apple wood.

One of these days I will have to add some **** pics.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

Good deal! sounds like you guys are gonna have some good eats later! Next time try briquets, you will have a more constant temp.

I'm cooking with the old man starting in a couple hours (8PM EST). Current conditions here in Buffalo are 35 degrees, 15 mph wind out of the west causing a windchill of 26. Low temp tonight of 27 with 8-15 mph winds all night.

I have two 9 pound butts smoking over top of a 14.5 pound full packer brisket. Using K briqs, flower pot in brinkman pan, no water. Shooting for 250-275 temp cook, somewhere between 10-16 hours I'm guessing.

I do have a fully enclosed wind screen though with a roof so I don't expect too many issues once I get the temps stable....but you never do know do you? Lol.

Todd

Todd, do you happen to have a picture of how all of that meat fit on the WSM?
I have a cook for 40 peeps coming up this june, and I am interested that you fit it all on. Not doubting you you just curious.

here are two butts close to 9 pounds each on the top grate. i have nothing on the bottom, but a 14.5# brisket will fit on the bottom grate just fine.

buttson.jpg

Originally posted by Dave Bethke:
Todd, do you happen to have a picture of how all of that meat fit on the WSM?
I have a cook for 40 peeps coming up this june, and I am interested that you fit it all on. Not doubting you you just curious.

I did four butts over a full brisket without a problem. Butts all placed on edge, leaning into each other and tied to ensure they didn't fall over. I did put a small foil pan in the inside gap between the four butts (you see it in the pics). That was a mistake I corrected during the smoke. It hampered air-flow and I couldn't get temps up until I removed it.

I have four racks of spares on. It is 15 degrees with a 5-10 mph wind, making it a 4 degree windchill.

I hope to have these done by halftime of the Vikes game.

Originally posted by Todd B:
I have four racks of spares on. It is 15 degrees with a 5-10 mph wind, making it a 4 degree windchill.

I hope to have these done by halftime of the Vikes game.

Vikes game wasn't on TV here, not that it mattered anyway, although I would have liked to see if T-Jack was going to wet himself again like in the 'skins game. Read about the 4th qtr comeback and fumble. T-Jack is sort of like the Vikings - they sometimes play so well it really gives you hope...and then they crush your spirit. Almost ten years and I still haven't let go of the 1998 fiasco - should have started Brad Johnson.

6 racks of babybacks - 3 top & bottom, plus two Jimmy Dean fatties (each 3 lbs). I'll fit the fatties where I can. I've been using K Kruger metamorphesis rub (a mild version) and love it. Salt the meat before adding the rub is a real key - completely avoids a salty taste and really emphsizes the rub.

Don't miss the MN wind; it could turn any day into something miserable.

I'm smoking two slabs of spares New Year's Day.

Safeway briquets and cherry for the smoke. Baked beans, 'tater salad, black eyed peas and collard greens.

Gonna be a good day.

It's 60* here, sunshine and calm. Wasn't planning to cook for New Years day, but i just can't resist. I'm headed up to the Piggly Wiggly grocer to get a couple of $.88 lb butts.
Yeah .88 cents lb.

Coldest day in the last month...16 degrees with 26 mph wind gusts. I am planning on putting the Standing Rib Roast on about 2:00 pm. Darn weather.

Originally posted by Jeff Vandenberg:
Coldest day in the last month...16 degrees with 26 mph wind gusts. I am planning on putting the Standing Rib Roast on about 2:00 pm. Darn weather.

Edit at 2:40 PM CST. I wrapped the bullet with the insulation blanket and a bungee cord. The bullet heated up so high, it melted the bungee cords. The coats off and the bullet is sitting at 360 degrees.

Back