Whoops! Anyone else ever do this?

Thats just stupid advise.... I shut off the tank EVERY time I'm done grilling and open it EVERY time I start it up again ---- I've NEVER had it trip.
Stop trying to scare people into leaving a 'live' tank on the grill. Go ahead and let a slow leak or a partially shut valve drain your tank.... especially if you are not using it regularly.

I believe that what LMichaels was reacting to was the second step of "unloading the regulator" that was mentioned. I don't think he was saying it was stupid to turn off the tank. I personally just shut off the burner valves but leave the tank valve open.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the place you DO get into an issue is when you screw up the order of opening, if you turn the tank valve off. This happened to me once when my Dad was here and started up the grill. Think he turned on the burner first to light it, it didn't light, and then he realized the tank valve was closed and opened it. When you open the tank valve with the burner valve open, that is where you can trip the tank pressure regulator because the tank feels like it might just be opened to the air when there is no pressure. In that case, the flames were very very low and nothing was cooking and then we figured out what had happened. You need to open the tank valve first, build pressure in the line, then you can open the burner valve. So I think LMichaels was just saying that evacuating the gas once the tank valve is closed is sort of unnecessary and could cause an issue at startup. Not sure this is really true because as long as the burner valves are properly closed when you open the tank valve, there will still be air in the line that will provide pressure, but in any case I think that's what he was saying.

We have multiple grill users, grills and side burners. If the tank is turned off no leaks. So turn off the tank when finished is one of our rules. I have found the grill running unattended. Side burner valves open leaking gas. Grill valves open leaking gas. The common failure mode was the tank valve was left open.

Our other rule at start up - all valves off then open tank valve. Wait 15 or so seconds. Then start grill or side burner.

starting and ending with tank off eliminated all the support calls around gas flow. It also ended the swapping regulator nonsense.

See why I like charcoal? No hostility, shut the vents and save the coal! I’m going to have to re learn the nuances of gas grilling all over when this blue haired lady (grill project for those who don’t know) finally finished!

We have multiple grill users, grills and side burners. If the tank is turned off no leaks. So turn off the tank when finished is one of our rules. I have found the grill running unattended. Side burner valves open leaking gas. Grill valves open leaking gas. The common failure mode was the tank valve was left open.

Our other rule at start up - all valves off then open tank valve. Wait 15 or so seconds. Then start grill or side burner.

starting and ending with tank off eliminated all the support calls around gas flow. It also ended the swapping regulator nonsense.
Its only simple common sense that avoids problems.

That's really not advisable. Because next time you turn the tank on you risk tripping the OPV. Better to leave the pressure there. Causes no harm at all

Sorry everyone... Didn't mean to cause a disagreement with my post...

Larry is 100 percent correct in saying not to "unload" the regulator because it can easily trip the tank safety valve. I have not had this happen because I know to crack the valve open very slowly and allow the line to pressurize before opening all the way. But lots of people HAVE tripped these valves and repeatedly come to this forum asking for advice about low flames so I totally understand and respect Larry’s concern.

I guess this was a habit I picked up as a kid when using oxy-acetelene torches. I was taught to close the tank valves, bleed the pressure off in the hoses, and back the T handles out on the regulators until loose to unload the springs.

It's a personal choice and I choose to do it sometimes. Sometimes I do close the tank valve, other times I forget. I don't stress if I forget. I figure that with my gas stove in the house, I don't close the valve when I get done using it. I don't shut off the line to my furnace or water heater. And a gas leak inside the house is a much bigger issue than out on your porch or driveway. I always have "intended" to shut off the propane tank when done grilling, but I often forget and when I do, I don't stress out over it.
People just need to do what they feel comfortable with and know the pros and cons of either method.

Here is an article direct from Weber regarding this controversy. It supports the tank shut off argument. Take it for what it is worth.

If I intentionally left the burners on for a burn off I would definitely forget to turn them off. But I use nylon brushes and clean the grates after a cool off, so my mode of operation is to turn off the LP tank valve and then turn off the grill burners immediately after pulling the food. Whether or not that risks an issue with the valve I do not know.

If I intentionally left the burners on for a burn off I would definitely forget to turn them off. But I use nylon brushes and clean the grates after a cool off, so my mode of operation is to turn off the LP tank valve and then turn off the grill burners immediately after pulling the food. Whether or not that risks an issue with the valve I do not know.
Yes I think this is where the potential issue is with the safety valve. Come to think of it, this could also be why my Dad had the issue with my grill. I now recall that he was one of the people who thought you should shut the tank valve off first, and then let the flames just die out to make sure there is no residual gas in there.

I've become the opposite ..I leave the tank valve open and just turn off the burners. I think biggest risk there is just somehow leaking out a whole propane tank if someone happened to turn one of the burner valves open but didn't light it

We gonna have to stop talking about stupid stuff, I be danged if I didn't leave 1 burner running for 3 days on low on the spirit, 10-15lbs of propane shot, was in a rush to cook my sister inlaws steak and got side tracked.I admitted to the wife I screwdged up, oh well, ordered a rotty for the performer today and if I can figure a good way to spin a steak the rest of the tank will last quit a while :LOL:

I left my stove top burner going unattended for a few hours tonight. Removed the pot but did not kill the flame.

I guess this is why I use charcoal!

Yeah well I never have, but other family members have left one of the gas stove burners on inside our kitchen before. Going to bed after turning off the lights in the kitchen I once noticed the blue flame on Low. Had been on for hours because wife or mother in law forgot to turn it off when they had it on "simmer" for a pot that they took off the stovetop while making dinner

Yeah well I never have, but other family members have left one of the gas stove burners on inside our kitchen before. Going to bed after turning off the lights in the kitchen I once noticed the blue flame on Low. Had been on for hours because wife or mother in law forgot to turn it off when they had it on "simmer" for a pot that they took off the stovetop while making dinner
My sister in law totally melted an aluminum pan on her stove. We've nicknamed her "Calamity Jane"

Back