Whole Pork shoulder

Does anyone cook the whole shoulder on their WSM 22? I’m planning on cooking one this weekend, if I can figure find one. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have seen many do this......but it will be a lengthy cook. I don't have a WSM but I read these guys starting at night to get it done on time.
Lately I have been cutting mine into a couple chunks and using my WSK. Shortens my time on the bbq for sure, and I can be sure its done for dinner when I start working around 7 am.
With smaller chunks ( 2 or 3 ) I get more rub as there is more surface area........either way works well, 1 piece possibly will keep better moisture.
Make sure to take lots of pictures.........we might no believe you unless you do......:p

I have seen many do this......but it will be a lengthy cook. I don't have a WSM but I read these guys starting at night to get it done on time.
Lately I have been cutting mine into a couple chunks and using my WSK. Shortens my time on the bbq for sure, and I can be sure its done for dinner when I start working around 7 am.
With smaller chunks ( 2 or 3 ) I get more rub as there is more surface area........either way works well, 1 piece possibly will keep better moisture.
Make sure to take lots of pictures.........we might no believe you unless you do......:p
i've found a full 8-9# Butt on the WSK to take anywhere from 7-9 hours total, bone out (Costco cut), trending 275-300F grate temp.

smaller chunks of a Butt go much quicker, and yes, more surface area, which people most prefer the bark anyways.

post a pic of your full shoulder, please. i'd like to see how jumbo it really is, and assuming it's bone-in.

Last edited:
I've only done a true pork shoulder on my offset and that was in the 17# range.
I did a few 17# briskets on the 18" WSM so it will fit on the big boy.
It takes alot of fuel to keep that thing going so be prepared to do a few refills.
Hotter faster , lower slower, take your pick.

If you're just going to cut it up in small chunks... Save yourself some charcoal !

Just throw into a slow cooker...

Back