Whole Hog Horror ... mistakes not to repeat?

Jennifer K

TVWBB Super Fan
I was invited to a pig roast party so we went out of town to see friends at this shebang over the weekend.

The pig was a 75 pounder, and the gentleman cooking it had built a pit in his yard using concrete blocks (three high)and aluminum foil. The pig rested on a rack of expanded metal. It was cooked in its skin and covered with a tent of foil.

Come serving time, after about 7-8 hours of cooking, the pig was carried in for eating. Tragically, large areas of this roast were uncooked and semi-cooked and because people had traveled, serving had to proceed. There ensued a chaotic hacking up of this porker, and triage was conducted in the microwave - with raw looking bits zapped and served. The pork was not very tasty and it was tough from microwaving. The fat hadn't rendered at all, really. To make matters worse, I ended up sick from it even though I tried to choose my piece carefully.

Now I've been enlisted to roast a whole hog for the annual street party, since my neighbors think I'm some kind of charcoal genius because I have a WSM. Having witnessed this whole hog fiasco, I've been thinking about what went wrong - trying to learn so I don't make the same mistakes.

I came up with a set of questions and respectfully request the whole hog gurus among us to weigh in:

1. Should the pig have been skinned first?

2. Obviously 7-8 hours wasn't long enough for this cook - what is the norm for a 75 pounder?

3. About 30 lbs of briquettes were used, and they looked to be burning okay. Was this enough?

4. I looked closely at the pit. The coals were on a sheet of expanded metal over an area of dug up grass. Then the concrete bricks were built up around it. Drip trays went in a line down the middle. Is there anything else that could have improved this pit?

5. The pig was cooked facing down - skin on top. Is this the best way?

6. Is it a good idea to inject a pig with brine for a whole hog cook? This one wasn't injected or rubbed.

The best thing I can say about this pig roast was that the sides were fantastic, the party beverages flowed freely, and the company was great. I felt terrible for the host, having his big moment ruined, when that pig was cut open and all the anticipation plummeted. Lots of people didn't eat it at all. (probably wise, but I couldn't be so rude as to not try the meat, after all his effort).

Because I've never cooked a whole pig before, and would rather not poison the neighborhood, all thoughts on this disaster and advice on how I should proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Aloha Jennifer... Sorry about your episode on the whole roast hog. I've been doing hog roast for over 55 years both on a rotisserie and in an underground pit (Hawaiian style). I rotissed a 100 pounder 2 weeks ago and have another one this Saturday. Write me at honu41@hotmail.com and I will answer your questions, since my reply may be too long plus I can send you some pics.

aloha,
joe

Hi Jennifer, A Cajun buddy does a pretty mean Cochon De Lait (Cajun version of a pig roast). I passed your questions along to him and will see if I can get some more input as well. Also, if you'll Google the phrase "Cochon De Lait", you'll probably find a few more recipes/answers that might not turn up from a search of phrases like pig roast, hog roast, and the like.

Out of all my bbq books, Chris Lilly seems to have the best pics and instructions for whole hog bbq in his new "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book".

Tell ya what though...I've got family and friends in and from North Carolina, where the traditional social event was always a "pig pickin'". Funny thing is that nowadays, my wife's aunt will talk about a "pickin" when they're more likely to smoke whole ribeyes...and I know that if there IS a whole porker on a rack, it's just as likely to be in a GAS cooker! How's that for tradition!?
icon_razz.gif

Guys, thank you for the input.

Very nice of you to offer, Joe, and I've written - thanks so much.

Mark, this cochon de lait tradition is amazing (just did some reading on it). I'll be very interested in any tips from your friend. Thank you.

Rob, that la caja china is really amazing. I probably can't sell the Other Half on the idea just for a one time only cook...although heck, if I had one, it sure wouldn't be a one time event!!

Dave, I'm ordering Chris Lilly's book today, since I keep hearing great things about it. Time I invested in some BBQ cook books to park alongside all my health food ones!

Hi Jennifer,

Here is the response I got from my Cajun buddy:

BEGIN COPY & PASTE-----
Hey Mark, Jennifer,

I looked at some of the posts and think that your friend was scared to bring the heat. Anyway, I watched the video @ http://www.lacajachina.com/. I really liked this because it is the cajun microwave idea but much cheaper (See Al Simon Cajun Microwave). One thing the man on the Bobby Flay video said was "You get the sweet tast of real pork." That threw Flay for a loop. The deal is that you have to flavor the sweet flavor of pork. Some do it with smoke, sauce, or spices. Traditional cuban spices have citrus juice, cumin, salt, etc, the cajun flavor is cayenne pepper, salt, garlic, black or white pepper, oregano & lemon juice. The meat needs no sauce afterwards. The crisp skin we call crackerling.

My recipe is about 16 oz cayenne pepper, 2 oz white pepper, 2 oz black pepper, 2 oz oregano, 2 boxes salt, 1 qt chopped garlic. add lemon juice to make a paste that you can rub over all exposed meat. I stab the butts, open the hole with a finger, and stuff seasoning in them (don't worry about drying out, there is plenty of moisture and fat) rub remainder over skin. When I put my pig in the cajun microwave, I add a few beers to the drip pan to keep moist, or for tradition. The old Julia Childs, a drink for the bird, a drink for me. I split the pelvis to get the pig as level as possible. I like his set up times for 3 hours, then 45 minutes of crisping the skin. Bigger pigs 75-100 # take me 5-7 hours. My rule is when you turn the pig to crisp, you should be able to rip the whole leg off the spine. The whole idea is to cook, not burn, even heat, don't open that lid too often.

Good luck, Bon Appetite!
Rene'

END COPY & PASTE----

Jennifer you should be able to rent a hog rotisserie or grill at one of your local party rental or bbq stores. They will probably give you real good instructions on how best to use it.

Originally posted by Joe Abad:
I've been doing hog roast for over 55 years ... I will answer your questions, since my reply may be too long plus I can send you some pics.
Hi Joe, if you don't mind, please share your wisdom here since I think that we're quite a few that would be interested.
icon_smile.gif

.... I second that. My neighbor wants to do a hog roast with a pit. I don't think there are too many other people on this board who have been doing whole hogs for 55 years.....

Hi- I'd be happy to share my experiences in roasting whole hogs. I can forward my reply,with several pics, that I sent to Jennifer that answered her questions to anyone if you send me your e-mail address. I admit that I am very bad at forwarding pics on forums.
And if I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

aloha,
joe

Originally posted by anders:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Abad:
I've been doing hog roast for over 55 years ... I will answer your questions, since my reply may be too long plus I can send you some pics.
Hi Joe, if you don't mind, please share your wisdom here since I think that we're quite a few that would be interested.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1, this is the perfect place to share your knowledge. And would love to see those pixs too!

Hey Canada Mike-I answered Jennifer's questions because she had certain questions that you or anyone else may or may not have. Everyone on this board has varying skills and some of my info would be beneficial to some but not all. Besides my photos are easier to send with my service provider instead of photo hosting services.

joe

No hijack intended, since Jennifer has already responded to Joe's response, but I get asked a lot about Whole Hogs on spits or in the ground and I'm always eager to try new things if it involves fire and meats....

...so....

If anyone is interested, I recently cooked an 89lb pig in my La Caja China. @60lbs of Kingsford and 4 hrs 15 min. later we we in Hog Heaven!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/...moke/116187658462391
The LCC performed flawlessly, and it was my first pig cook with it. I had only cooked Picnics, Butts and Chickens in it until then. Have a request to do another one Labor Day weekend.

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
No hijack intended, since Jennifer has already responded to Joe's response, but I get asked a lot about Whole Hogs on spits or in the ground and I'm always eager to try new things if it involves fire and meats....

...so....

If anyone is interested, I recently cooked an 89lb pig in my La Caja China. @60lbs of Kingsford and 4 hrs 15 min. later we we in Hog Heaven!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/...moke/116187658462391
The LCC performed flawlessly, and it was my first pig cook with it. I had only cooked Picnics, Butts and Chickens in it until then. Have a request to do another one Labor Day weekend.

Thanks Brian. Very cool pix, that hog looked pretty delicious when all was said and done.

Whole hog is on my bucket list (And who doesn't have it on there?). I've thought about going the La Caja China route. Interested to see what you come up with Jennifer.

Chris Lilly gives some good starting points/ideas in Big Bob Gibson BBQ Books. Might want to check that out.

Back