Whole Green Ham

Dwight Pennington

TVWBB Member
My meathouse told me that I should do a green ham instead of a shoulder...For some reason that don't seem right....Can anyone give me any info on smoking hams instead of Shoulder???? I knew a BBQ joint in Tn that smoked hams and I quit giving them my business because I didn't like the taste...But I wondered if they were smoking "Green" hams or "Cured" hams....This is just to answer unanswered questions in my mind....Thanks

Hi Dwight,

Did the meathouse give you any suggestions for and reasons for the green ham ? Having never cooked any ham on my wsm, I can not be of any help.

Bob

Hello Bob,
No, but in Tn they said there was less waste from fat than they had from a shoulder...I understand that, but a sandwich that taste like "Smoked Ham" didn't appeal to me at all....Edible, but not like Pork Shoulder....So I assume they recommended it for the same reason....Probably make a good method to cook a Sunday Ham

Hi Dwight,

Interesting. Wonder if they had an over abundance of green hams ;) Will keep an eye out for your cook. Interested in how it turns out.

Bob

I was there on Friday and they kill hogs on Thursday....I'd say they had plenty of hams....Gonna buy a shoulder from her and try that...I buy from them cause it's fresh....I don't know prices, but the Pork Butts was freshly butchered and only charged $1.69 a lb....I think shoulder is around $1.89 a lb

id take a shoulder over ham anyday, i only do a ham once in a blue moon and its more for other people, ham and scalloped potatoes

Thanks Grant....Yeah, I would only do a ham for special occasions....Jus wondered what all the fuss was about hams in my area....I think mostly it's "less waste" from fat that motivates the use of hams....I'm calling about a shoulder today.....Thanks again

Back