Whole Chicken & Wings on a Rotisserie

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All I'm going to do a whole chicken and some wings on my CB Rotisserie. What is the better way to do this, direct or indirect?

My goal is to get crispy skin.
Thanks Dan

Hi All I'm going to do a whole chicken and some wings on my CB Rotisserie. What is the better way to do this, direct or indirect?

My goal is to get crispy skin.
Thanks Dan

I think mostly indirect is the way to go, and just maintain high temps. You might put a single layer of charcoal direct and most of the heat indirect.

I'm interested in how your whole chicken comes out? Are you using the Cajun Bandit on your 22"? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting one..

Hi All Here are the results of the Rotisserie cook ..Temps were mostly at 350 after taking 20 mins to get there, some times hitting 400.
The wings and the chicken skin could have been a little crispy.. Took the whole chicken off temp was 181, but the color of the leg and tight were pinkish..I didn't use any wood what I used was Royal Oak Lump, Kingsford n Stubbs charcoal.. Could pinkish color come from the R O lump?
Wings took a little over 1 hr, whole chicken 6 1/4 lbs took about 2 hrs..Cajun Bandit on my WSM 22"
Dan

PS I used the indirect method, coals on one side , drip pan in the middle. Next time direct.

bu5xgNGt.jpg

[
elzoHHdt.jpg

Last edited:
If the chicken took 2 hrs you probably would have benefited from more heat on the bird. Agreed, direct sounds like a better option for this setup.

The last rotisserie chicken I did, It seemed like the thighs took the longest to come up to temp. They can sometimes still be pink and be cooked up to temp if it's a young bird.

If the chicken took 2 hrs you probably would have benefited from more heat on the bird. Agreed, direct sounds like a better option for this setup.

X2.

I rotisserie chickens direct in my WSMs at high heat - 400*. Sometimes higher temps - have had the maverick 732 go into error mode (don't really recommend that). The chicken can take it.

Hi All Chicken was very tasty. I was thinking maybe the pinkish color came from the Royal Oak Lump.
My 1st time using it..Has a few almost empty bags laying around, so I put them all together.
Next on the list shish kabobs
Thanks Dan

Back